Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Haynes or Chilton (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/haynes-chilton-8449/)

CB 12-19-2007 09:25 PM

Haynes or Chilton

Which is the best repair manual ?:eek:

extanker 12-20-2007 05:59 AM

RE: Haynes or Chilton

helms or mitchels both are pro. manuals but 4 times the cost of helms.they are worth every penny

LeesVette 12-20-2007 07:30 AM

Get the Factory Service Manual from www.helminc.com Gordon Killebrew wrote it.Its a two book set, get bothor you will be sorry later.

95trplblkandtan 12-20-2007 10:27 AM

well i have always used Haynes... sometimes it gets frustrating because the directions are not always correct because the car they do the work on isnt always your year car. for example i just changed out my starter motor in my 95. the haynes manual walked me through it and it look difficult, saying i had to remove this and that to get to the starter motor... Thats because the car they worked on was a late 80's model... needless to say my starter motor came out easily without having to remove anything... other than a few problems like that, its not real expensive and it gets the job done... keep in mind i have never used a chilton or anything else, so i cannot speak for those.

Barry11 12-20-2007 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

well i have always used Haynes... sometimes it gets frustrating because the directions are not always correct because the car they do the work on isnt always your year car. for example i just changed out my starter motor in my 95. the haynes manual walked me through it and it look difficult, saying i had to remove this and that to get to the starter motor... Thats because the car they worked on was a late 80's model... needless to say my starter motor came out easily without having to remove anything... other than a few problems like that, its not real expensive and it gets the job done... keep in mind i have never used a chilton or anything else, so i cannot speak for those.
True. i have a Haynes as well. It's certainly better than nothing. Has helped me along. Im not the brightest bulb in the box.

86 Ironhead 12-20-2007 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

If your working on your own C-4 Get the factory manual. Then for entertainment value buy a haynes and chilton, for the 2 cents worth of comments, and helpful hints.I found mine on ebay.

cwb 01-04-2008 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 86 Ironhead

If your working on your own C-4 Get the factory manual. Then for
Code:

entertainment value
buy a haynes and chilton, for the 2 cents worth of comments, and helpful hints. I found mine on ebay.
Haynes or Chilton's should have a hollowround binder, so you could use 'em in the bathroom:D