Haynes or Chilton

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
CB
Default Haynes or Chilton

Which is the best repair manual ?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Default RE: Haynes or Chilton

helms or mitchels both are pro. manuals but 4 times the cost of helms.they are worth every penny

Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 AM

Get the Factory Service Manual from www.helminc.com Gordon Killebrew wrote it.Its a two book set, get bothor you will be sorry later.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM

well i have always used Haynes... sometimes it gets frustrating because the directions are not always correct because the car they do the work on isnt always your year car. for example i just changed out my starter motor in my 95. the haynes manual walked me through it and it look difficult, saying i had to remove this and that to get to the starter motor... Thats because the car they worked on was a late 80's model... needless to say my starter motor came out easily without having to remove anything... other than a few problems like that, its not real expensive and it gets the job done... keep in mind i have never used a chilton or anything else, so i cannot speak for those.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

well i have always used Haynes... sometimes it gets frustrating because the directions are not always correct because the car they do the work on isnt always your year car. for example i just changed out my starter motor in my 95. the haynes manual walked me through it and it look difficult, saying i had to remove this and that to get to the starter motor... Thats because the car they worked on was a late 80's model... needless to say my starter motor came out easily without having to remove anything... other than a few problems like that, its not real expensive and it gets the job done... keep in mind i have never used a chilton or anything else, so i cannot speak for those.
True. i have a Haynes as well. It's certainly better than nothing. Has helped me along. Im not the brightest bulb in the box.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 95trplblkandtan

If your working on your own C-4 Get the factory manual. Then for entertainment value buy a haynes and chilton, for the 2 cents worth of comments, and helpful hints.I found mine on ebay.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 86 Ironhead

If your working on your own C-4 Get the factory manual. Then for
Code:
entertainment value
buy a haynes and chilton, for the 2 cents worth of comments, and helpful hints. I found mine on ebay.
Haynes or Chilton's should have a hollowround binder, so you could use 'em in the bathroom