Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

HELP, No power when hot & pinging

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Default HELP, No power when hot & pinging

I have a 95 Vette, this started a couple of weeks ago. When the car is cold it runs fine. As it starts to warm up it starts pinging real bad and you hear popping comming from the intake. No power at all. I have to 2 foot it at a light so it won't stall. I brought it last week to Classic Corvettes in Tampa, Lenny checked thing out and found the wrong wires on the car, a bad speed sensor, and changed the spark plugs. After all that the car seem to run great. But not for long, its all back and worse. Also this sounds crazy but when the car is runng bad the interior lights also stop working. When the car cools they will work again.... What the hell??? Anyway I'm goung back to CC on Monday. But in the mean time is there anybody that has ran into anything like this??

Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Default RE: HELP, No power when hot & pinging

Damn. Thats some serious ****. Id like to see the answer for this....

Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure and probably wrong but my '87 did something similar to that and it turned out to be the ignition module in the distributer. good luck with it. Cheers

Old 04-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Lenny,The guy at Classic Corvettes said the same thing...It may be an ignition module. Also he said that the coil may be breaking down with the heat.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:39 PM

If you can, go ahead and replace the coil. But I dont suggest just throwing parts at it until its fixed. Replace things as they break. It will save you alot of $$ in the long run. Goodluck and let us know what you find out. Also what grade of gasoline do you use?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 PM

HOW MANY MILES IS ON THE CAR. iT SOUNDS LIKE THE ANTI KNOCK SENSOR IS NOT WORKING. PLUS IT COULD BE THE COIL AND ITS GROUND PLAT OR IF IT HAS A LOT OF MILES YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT CHANGING THE DISTRIBUTOR

Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 AM

I use 93 Octane only, also the Opti-Spark was changed out at 80,000 The car has 110,000.. I'm not totally ruling out the Opti-Spark, but the anti knock sensor is a possability. I'll keep y'all posted. I should find out more on Monday.. Also I forgot to mention the car is throwing no codes. I don't even get a check engine light. But whatever it is, its breaking down with heat.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM

The popping through the intake sounds like an opti problem. What happens is the imbedded contacts in the cap can start arcing to each other causing a carbon track. The result is spark jumping to the wrong cylinder and you get combustion when the intake valve is open. You will usually see this happen under high ignition load conditions (a high gear low RPM). I know it doesn't explain the light problem but that may be a different issue all together.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Thats what I'm starting to think too. It sounds to me like the Opti-Spark. As far as the lights going out, a buddy of mine told me the car goes into a LIMP HOME MODE, so it cuts out all extra power no needed. Makes sense. So I guess thats what the light problem is. Will see I'm bringing it back to Classic Corvettes again this afternoon. he said he will put in a test coil & ignition module... I'll let everyone know.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM

ITS FIXED...It runs like a scolded dog now.... It was the Opti-spark... It was so corroded I don't know how the car even ran at all.... I a happy camper now !!!! Thanks for all the imput guys.

Quick Reply: HELP, No power when hot & pinging