Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Hi Im new here, got some ? about painless engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Default Hi Im new here, got some ? about painless engine harness

Hi there, Im new here, also new to Corvette's .
Previously I have my camaro restored totaly, jeep maintained etc. Now Im negotiating with a friend who owns a 96 Vette. But the car needs lots of job to be done and missing parts.

The ECM and engine harness is missing, also MAF sensor and some other parts are missing too. Im thinkin to buy painless perfect ECM kit.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Anyone have experience with this kit? is it better than factory ECM? or would it be a good upgrade ?
Thanks.
Burak.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: Hi Im new here, got some ? about painless engine harness

You better check it out to make sure its "kosher". Some of those things are rip offs. I dont know about this kit in particular. Yes there are upgradable things from factory but some work, some dont. Try to stick with AC Delco. Factory used AND good.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:14 PM

I have heard nothing bad about painless. Though that one on summit seems to be for an upgrade, and doesnt even enclude the ECU. I would try to find a factory replacement, because thats what you are doing, and use the OEM ECU. Is that car an LT1 or LT4, auto or manual?

Look at jegs.com They have a lot of painless wiring kits for half the price and seem to be near OEM replacement. Just click on TPI, LT1, LS1 and then electrical.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies
The car has LT1 engine and Auto transmission.
I tought the black box with the harness was ECU. Thanks for warning.
Since the car has many missing parts I tought its a good chance to install performance/upgraded parts. But Im new to corvettes and like to check before ordering any parts.

Im also thinking to install accell injectors+granetelli maf+k&n air filter +1.6 rockers, do you think they are useless if I dont have headers and better exhaust system on LT1?
Thanks.
Burak.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 PM

What are your horsepower goals? Ok basically to improve your car you want to start with the exaust. True dual, no cats, high performance mufflers, headers.......WARNING: The grantelli maf is fine BUT THE ADJUSTABLE ONE IS NOT TRUE AS ADVERTISED. It does not give you 10-20 horsepower. The K&N filter and a cut lid will wield about 10 hp. 22 pound injectors I believe are stock but the upgrade to accel would be good as if yours are stock they are probably worn out. Also a high performance fuel pump. Roller rockers, I do not know much about them but you have to have new valve covers. Once you start getting into big horsepower, you need to upgrade heavily. Oh yea welcome to CF and I hope you enjoy your "possible" new vette. Good luck with it.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:29 AM

The exhaust on the LT1s was not near as restrictive as the L98 exhaust, so you can still see decent gains from mods you do on the engine. cant comment about the MAF, but the roller rockers are good along with the K&N. you might look at the very popular GM hotcam kit, i think it may include roller rockers too, but im not sure, im an L98 guy.
Other than that i would focus on getting the engine running well, and maybe look into upgrading the rear gears to better suit the LT1 powerband.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info,

Actually I dont have a target HP, while gathering missing parts for the engine, adding better parts and the having the best possible result. I modified my z28 L82 engine but dont want heavy mods on the vette. Just easy breathing pump gas engine.

I have to study litlle more

Today I told my last offer to the owner/friend, hopefully tomorrow I will clear, do I have the vette or not
Thanks.
Burak.