Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

how to do valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Default how to do valve cover gaskets

All, I have a 84 crossfire,, It does not use oil but I have oil seeping from the bottom of the valave covers..

Can someone tell me how easy this is to fix myself. I need instructions.. for the whole thing as I am not a mechanic..

THanks much

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: how to do valve cover gaskets

Hi, It's not that hard to replace the valve cover gaskets. You may need to pull the plug wires from the spark plugs so you can move them back out of your way, mark them so you'll know where they go when you put them backon. Remove the 4 small bolts holding the cover on and removethe valve cover. Clean any old gasket from the cover and the mating surface on the motor. I use a small amount ofautomotivesilicone sealant to stick the new gasket to the valve cover to help hold the gasket in place while you re-install the valve cover, you can even put small amounton the other side of the gasket if you like. Position the cover so the bolt holes line up and replace the4 bolts. Just snug them down, if you over tighten them they will pinch the new gaskets and could cause them to leak. replace theplug wires and anything else you may have had to move. Good Luck

Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 PM
cwb

Use tape to label rubber emission hoses, and the vacuum nipples they came from. Same for electrical connectors. As soon as a part is out of the way, put EVERY screw back in the empty hole. Beware of spring-loaded parts (although I don't think your procedure involves any).

It's a pain to do it that way, but you won't jam stuff up at re-assembly, and they won't get lost. Sequence of re-assembly is sometimes important. If you really wanna' make sure, do a TOTAL dry/trial fit, and when you're doin' the final fit, you'll remember a sequence error, where you mighta' had to pull a part back off.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Do I have to remove the fuel lines, and etc to get to the covers? or can I just take off the air cleaner and do it from there. I need specifics as I am a newbie trying to learn something and take care of my own car.

Thanks All

Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 84blackice

Do I have to remove the fuel lines, and etc to get to the covers? or can I just take off the air cleaner and do it from there. I need specifics as I am a newbie trying to learn something and take care of my own car.

Thanks All

I'm not familiar with the cross-fire's set-up there ice...

There might be some items secured to the engine, which use the bolts that hold down the valve covers, so yes, they'd have to be removed. Not sure either about the fuel lines, but yup, the air filter housing will probably allow better access.

Might oughtta' go to the local Advance Auto Zone, and pick up Chilton's or Haynes. Call the library first, they might have your book for procedure, or just go by there. The car books are in the 623.000 section (or the 629.000 section).

EDIT: Maybe since I have Hayne's right here, and a scanner, then I can post it here for ya'??? Gimme' a break ice, I'm a little slow sometimes (other times I'm sleepin'[sm=sleeping.gif])

If there's a reference to other material in the text, I'll post it also...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/19DDF0039B494352B254841DD2DF7736.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
cwb

...fuel line...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/255051DC1C0A467AB06633013CCFCBEA.jpg[/IMG]

for the drive belt, use a ratchet, set to 'tighten'. Put it in the belt tensioning wheel socket, and turn...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/45A14A3DBDE841A584BAED2B74D0F3EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
cwb

The A/C compressor needs to be moved BUT not disconnected. It does have an electrical connector that needs to be unhooked. Ditto for the alternator.

Each component MIGHThave one bolt on which it pivots, along the 'plane' of the drive belt, and each has another bolt that lets it 'swing', to tighten against the drive belt. The brackets that hold each component to the motor do NOT need to be removed.

Let us know whatcha' got as ya' go.

I gotsome marshmallows and weineys on a stick, andmy Oakleys, so I'm watchin for the mushroom cloud.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 PM

UGH<,,, do I really need to remove the fuel lines.. I think i acan get these off just by taking off the whole top cleaner assembly..

I am goin got use the silicone gaskets.. Do they need RTV sealent..

I really hope I do not need to remove anything else than the top of the air cleaner assembly..

Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 PM

I am goin got use the silicone gaskets.. Do they need RTV sealent..
You don't need to use RTV sealant with those gaskets. Just snug them down good.

You may want to re-snug them after you drive the car a little while. Just don't over tighten them.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]