Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Default hypertech

thinking of getting a performace chip need input do they help or is it just a waste of time

Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Default RE: hypertech

I have the hypertech computer, works great i can set my shift points or go back and make any changes after any mods are added.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM

thanks for the reply is yours the thermo chip or is it reprogrammer thanks

Old 02-27-2007, 03:30 PM

I have a Hypertech Thermomaster chip and 160* Powerstat in my car. It only effects anything when you are at WOT. IMO it is a waste of money. I can feel NO difference (its only supposed to boost HP 15-20, I doubt it does maybe 2 or 3). Get yourself a custom burned chip for roughly the same amount of money and you will be better off.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM

lee thanks thats what i needed to know thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM

mine is the reprogrammer, if you buy the custom chip , does this limit you to future modsand have to make a new one? On mine i recalabrated after the new wheels, then reprogramed after the new rear end. i have also gone back and changed the shift points. the reprogramer was not bought for the horse power just the ease of changes after mods.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: eggbutt

mine is the reprogrammer, if you buy the custom chip , does this limit you to future modsand have to make a new one? On mine i recalabrated after the new wheels, then reprogramed after the new rear end. i have also gone back and changed the shift points. the reprogramer was not bought for the horse power just the ease of changes after mods.
If you buy the chip from Hypertech it doesn't do anything as far as shift points or anything technical like a reprogrammer does. The only thing it MIGHT do is cause your fans to run all the time, thats why they reccomend putting in a 160* stat. Now I freeze my rear end off in the winter time because it takes forever for my car to warm up. I cannot wait for summer to get here. It really makes driving the car in a winter a pain until it warms up.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM

ANY NON CUSTOM CHIP......is a waste of time. www.pcmforless.com Other tuners are available. Dyno tunes are preferable but some do mail in offers. List all mods at the time of burn chip but do keep in mind mods in the future. I think they just retune the new chip and dont make you get a new one once you start modding more. I reccomend waiting until ALL your mods or done. Or atleast the major portion. JMO.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I CAN SPEND THE MONEY ELSE WHERE THANKS

Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 AM

LeesVette, I have no idea where you live, but, here in Ontario, Canada, Oshawa to be exact, it is very hard indeed to see any Vette on the streets after September 15th. I was wondering if you drove your Vette in the Winter with all that ice and salt/sand( "freeze my *** off in the Winter".) I also have a performance chip + 160* thermostat installed along with several other "bolt-on mods, and the temperature in my Vette never exceeds 87*F during the Summer months. Maybe I'm just lucky....

mypetu39

Quick Reply: hypertech