Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Ignition Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Default Ignition Wires

I am in the process of dressing up the engine compartment on my '87 work-in-progress and am looking to get a nice set of braided spark plug wires. Any ideas guys?

All help is appreciated

Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: Ignition Wires

I havent seen ignition wires that come braided, but i have seen generic braid kits that can be put over anything, radiator hoses, fuel lines, ac lines.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: raisinbran

I havent seen ignition wires that come braided, but i have seen generic braid kits that can be put over anything, radiator hoses, fuel lines, ac lines.

Do you remember where? Is there any sort of draw-back to these? Heat issues?

Thanks raisin

Old 08-22-2006, 01:08 AM

I found some on jegs, they have a bunch under engine dress up http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=11377

In my own opinion, i wouldnt do the spark plug wires. First of all, any show engine ive seen just has the wires bare, though they are usually nice pretty colors and they are nicely organized and use a nice loom kit. Second, and more importantly, you may run into some trouble seeing how a lot of those braid kits are stainless steel. Ive heard of guys having problems just because the wires were not loomed and touched certain areas of the engine, like valve covers, causing some kind of voltage jump, and therefore a bad engine miss. Do what you will, you can definately find some stock braid material to use for it, but i would not do it.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanks raisin

That was exactly the info I was lookig for. I figured there was something wrong with the advice I was getting from a relative/know-it-all

I will go with good quality colored wires and loom them properly.

Once again, this site rocks[8D]

Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 PM

A buddy of mine put some stainless braided wires on his nova and they looked nice but his car ran like $h@t after a while . found out the wires were shorting to ground through the braid lol , he paid quit a bit for these wires . I like the high silicone colored wires myself . just my two cents

Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Most of the nice silicone wires come cut to fit. Invest in a plug wire crimping tool to put the plug wire ends on along with some silicone spray to lube the ends so the can slide on the wire easier. I got my crimpers off the tool truck, but you can get them through some retailers.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input and view points!

Unfortunately, my Lumina's steering system (pretty much everything) took a dump on me yesterday[:@]

I'm looking at about $700+ for repairs. So my '87 work-in-progess is going to have to wait some more. Love my kids a lot but they don't seem to like being strapped to the top of my Vette

Family first, I guess...

I do want some nice quality high end silicone wires and was looking to spend around $150 or so. It is just going to have to wait a little while.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz
Love my kids a lot but they don't seem to like being strapped to the top of my Vette

Family first, I guess...
Some kids just don't have a sense of humor! Just kidding.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 PM

msd wires are the best.the braided wires short out the plug a lot .the car will skip in time when the sheild were out.use MSD.TAYLOR.MOROSO BLUE MAX. HOPE THIS HELPS

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/5DD6AE0FF35243F1BC982C950F0FE33F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ignition Wires