Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

installing a 6 speed into a car with auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:29 PM
AXE
Default installing a 6 speed into a car with auto trans

if i install a 6 speed trans into an automatic car will i have any issues with computer ? this is a swap i want to do with my 92 coupe lt-1 ....has anyone done this swap or know where a link to read up on any details i may need to know for this thanks

Last edited by AXE; 12-26-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: forgot to say what car for swap
Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Almost anyone who has attempted or observed this swap will advise you to NOT try it!
It is VERY labor intensive,complicated and time consuming not to mention expensive! The best bet if you go forward is to have a 92 six-speed parts car setting alongside yours and move the parts over one at a time so you can see how they go on and how the wires hook up. The computer for the six speed will be a little different from the auto as will the wiring loom so you will need a schematic to figure out what wires will be different where they come from and where they go. You will have to add wires for the clutch safety switch as well as the switch that drops out the cruise when you step on the clutch. Of course the whole pedal assembly will need to be replaced. Have you tried to work under the dash of a C-4? The backup light wiring will be different since the switches are different. Those are a few things that come to mind quickly,there are probably dozens that I didn't think of ? Have you considered trying to find a six-speed car for sale and maybe make a trade? Or sell yours outright and buy a six-speed car? Your sanity will thank you!!!! There were 5,487 six-speed 92's built,surely there must be one for sale?
If you go forward with this,please keep a running thread going on here to keep us up with what is involved? Also one of the side effects of the swap will be to make your car worth less than it would have been. A wise buyer would check the numbers.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 AM
AXE

never did the 6 spd swap instead had auto trans rebuilt that lasted till 2010 then it went out again had it rebuilt again by someone else and still wishing i had done the swap i will see how long this rebuild lasts but in the mean time im going to get the 6 spd and parts ready to go as im thinking im getting really tired of dealing with auto trans guys as most of them are crooks anyway i dont know if its me but i have yet to meet an honest transmission guy yet... thanks for your input on swap