Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

just bought a 92, oil pressure gauge is wild

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Default just bought a 92, oil pressure gauge is wild

I just bought a 1992 with 106,000 miles. The car is solid and drives great, gas mileage is awesome. I have only had it a week (500 miles already) and noticed a couple issues that concern me. Its an automatic LT1

1. The oil pressure gauge is pretty steady at 40psi about 99% of the time. On occasion during normal driving the gauge goes crazy from like 10-15psi to above 80 and it just flickers all around. The car doesnt seem to stutter or anything but its very strange.

2. On a couple occasions when I am doong 55-60mph and I punch the gas it seems to almost stall or like it is downshifting, this has happened a few times and my first thought was a transmission issue but now I am thinking it is an engine issue. It isnt like this all the time, its only happened a couple times.

3. The other day I was at a red light in traffic, idling just fine, the light turned green and I hit the gas (not hard, just normal) and the car just stalled. I put it in neutral, restarted and it fired right up and off I went.

Do these things sound familiar to anyone? I am wondering if they are a sign of something wrong. Like I said it drives great, starts right up, in the past week I ran 500 miles in the city and highway with no problems except the few above. I am hoping that the car just sat for a while before I bought it and I am just getting it warmed back up. All fluid levels are ok, I dumped some fuel injector cleaner in the tank with premium gas the other day as well.

I absolutely love this car. I have a 75 Stingray and that is fun to drive but this 92 is far more advanced, it feels like a race car.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: just bought a 92, oil pressure gauge is wild

Well, the oil pressure flucuation may be due to a bad sending unit. Sending unit is either on the back of the block behind the intake or on the side just above your oil filter. It is a dual purpose sender as it also acts a redundant fuel pressure switch. I would try that first. The stalling problem could be due to several things. Due to the problems GM has with the Optispark distributors, it could be that. You really need to have things checked like trouble codes, fuel pressure, oxygen sensor readings, etc, to see how lean the engine is running. That might be more difficult to run down without scan tool readings to look at. [8D]

Old 09-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Default RE: just bought a 92, oil pressure gauge is wild

Could be fuel filter???

But mech is right. Get her hooked up to a computer for codes, etc...