Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

knock sensor code...won't go away...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Default knock sensor code...won't go away...help

Let me first say that I've been away a while and am glad to be back posting again. I have a few questions regarding my 1990 coupe. I had the knock sensor replaced when I first bought the car about 7 months ago. I did the CCM check and reset the codes. I still have a code 43. I have found that this is the Knock sensor. I had the spark plugs replaced at the stealership. They reset the timing and told me that the timing was set to -6*BTDC. Does this make sense to anyone? The dealership set the timing to 6*BTDC. I can see that the injectors have been replaced at some point as they are TOMCO or something.

Also...a friend that has owend 3 TPI Camaros looked over the motor bay. He said that he heard some kind of noise coming from the distributor. He also informed me that that is where the Tach is hooked up to...My tach bounces all over the place. Sometimes it is dead. My friend told me that can affect power and timing... if a wire is moving around in there.

Please help with your comments and advice. Two other major problems...my passenger window won't move with either switch... and my AC won't engage. The compressor works and is full of R12 but won't come on. It does work when I jump to the battery and ground to the compressor body. Could there be a problem in the display module. The numbers fade halfway and sometimes show LP or Lo or like ',81. Any ideas?

ZR1clone

Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: knock sensor code...won't go away...help

Wow, too many probs to tackle at once. The 43 could mean wiring also and also the ESC module. Mine kept having problems and I found a broken wire to the KS. Sounds like your window motor is bad. Does your car have ATC? By that, I mean does the temp settings display in degrees rather than a slide bar? Possible control head, possible compressor relay, hard to say on that one without doing circuit checks.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Mech. Yes, my car has a temp display in degrees. Although the display most of the time is barely legible. The display is scrambled and has dashes in the wrong place and things like symbols. Hope that makes sense. I was wondering I you have ever heard of a tach wire being in the rotor or distributor loose and moving around in there. Will this affect spark and the tach? Thanks for the fast reply.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

There is no "tach wire". The tach uses grounding references from the ignition module to generate a tach signal.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Well then..... have you ever heard of something getting down in the distributor cap or rotor and messing up the tach. Making noise of some kind?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Your distributor consists of a shaft that runs through a stator and if it is making noise, more than likely the bushings in the dist. are wore out. Can you move the rotor from side to side?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM

I'll try and get back to ya! Thanks.