Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

L98 proper operating temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Default L98 proper operating temperature

I have a question regarding the '87 L98 with aluminum heads and proper operating temperature. We just got our car the other week and I am getting familiar with it, and in an effort to maintain this baby as best as possible I do have a quick question here...

The previous owner has removed the centre of the thermostat in an effort to keep the car running as cool as possible. I know 350's tend to run warm (I've had quite a few hot rods with them in it) and with the aluminum heads (which is all new to me now) I was wondering if there were any concerns about operating temperatures and damaging the heads? The heater is not really working in the cockpit as the car tends to run at about 160* I believe... we get a lot of rain up here, and cold days... I really want and need the heater to work... so, I was going to install a 190* thermostat in it this weekend, but before I do that I would really appreciate feedback from you experts on topic.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Default RE: L98 proper operating temperature

Cogratulations on your purchase

Welcome aboard...

I have an '87 that runs at 190 on the freeways from 50-120 mph. City driving and traffic jams will run her up to 220. Keep in mind that this is Wisconsin driving. Our weather could be 30 or could be 100 and humid. She is always parked once the salt trucks come out so I don't know about winter temps. I have a beater for those months

Hope this helps. I'll be posting some pics of my "work in progress" shortly. Enjoy your new baby and remember the wave!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks ever so much for your kind words!! I really appreciate it, and rest assured, I've got the wave down pat!!

So, I take it from your post you've never had any problems with the aluminum heads running at those normal operating temperatures? I suspect everything will be fine, but I really appreciate your feedback like that... thanks!!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 PM

I dont have an L98, i have a 94 LT1... the LT1's tend to run a little hotter i believe, but i think that the temperature range that you and Super are talking about sounds about right. But, i have a counter question for you.. Does it seem to get un-godly hot in the cockpit? No matter what speed i am going or what my thermostat says, if i have been driving my car for more than about 20 minutes, my legs feel like they are about to catch fire. I was just wondering if it was the same in the older body C4's as the newer ones. Thanks

Old 07-22-2006, 12:25 AM

160 is on the cold side & will promote cylinder wall wear.
I would run a 180 or 195 degree thermostat.
If the engine is modified & it is hard to get good enough fuel I would go with the 180, but if the engien is pretty stock & spark knock is not a problem I would use a 195.
The hotter it runs (up to a point) the more efficient it is and the less cylinder wear.
Cooler temperatures help prevent spark knock, but cost you fuel mileage engine life.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:39 PM

I thought it was just mine! I have been researching some type of thermal insulation to put under the carpet when I redo it this fall. Yes, unless I turn the A/C on (it does not work) the heat feels like you could boil water. Both passenger and driver are very uncomfortable. If I have the top down, windows down and am FLYING it is fine. Maybe because I am sooo happy that I just don't notice the heat I feel, literally, for you 94black.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:44 PM

ive got a 185 stat, kinda best of both worlds. just remember these engines are designed to run hot, i would say 160 is way too cold. at the drag strip, most will want their engines cold...they will put ice packs on top and cool thermostats in. but those are not optimal for street use.

ive live in texas, we have hot summers and mild winters. but if you live in a colder climate, then you will want a hotter thermostat to help keep your temps up.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

I dont have an L98, i have a 94 LT1... the LT1's tend to run a little hotter i believe, but i think that the temperature range that you and Super are talking about sounds about right. But, i have a counter question for you.. Does it seem to get un-godly hot in the cockpit? No matter what speed i am going or what my thermostat says, if i have been driving my car for more than about 20 minutes, my legs feel like they are about to catch fire. I was just wondering if it was the same in the older body C4's as the newer ones. Thanks
Good Lord, yeh!! It REALLY does get quite bakin' hot in the cockpit, especially in the summer. I have noticed this in all my small block Chev hot rods... I had a wicked 71 Nova with a 400hp 350 in it... you could literally cook bacon in the passengers seat just by holding a frying pan in the car....

Old 07-24-2006, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Tacky

160 is on the cold side & will promote cylinder wall wear.
I would run a 180 or 195 degree thermostat.
If the engine is modified & it is hard to get good enough fuel I would go with the 180, but if the engien is pretty stock & spark knock is not a problem I would use a 195.
The hotter it runs (up to a point) the more efficient it is and the less cylinder wear.
Cooler temperatures help prevent spark knock, but cost you fuel mileage engine life.
ORIGINAL: raisinbran

ive got a 185 stat, kinda best of both worlds. just remember these engines are designed to run hot, i would say 160 is way too cold. at the drag strip, most will want their engines cold...they will put ice packs on top and cool thermostats in. but those are not optimal for street use.

ive live in texas, we have hot summers and mild winters. but if you live in a colder climate, then you will want a hotter thermostat to help keep your temps up.
This is EXACTLY the information I was hoping to find here!! Thanks so much, guys, that's precisely what I needed. I will be installing a 190* stat right away now.... it sure is awesome to be able to come here and get expert advice like this, guys, and for that I profusely thank you!! [8D]

I was primarily concerned with balancing not overheating the car (especially with the aluminum heads, which is all new to me) and wanting the engine to run at proper operating temps. Your information is beyond valuable here... thank you so much!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

I thought it was just mine! I have been researching some type of thermal insulation to put under the carpet when I redo it this fall. Yes, unless I turn the A/C on (it does not work) the heat feels like you could boil water. Both passenger and driver are very uncomfortable. If I have the top down, windows down and am FLYING it is fine. Maybe because I am sooo happy that I just don't notice the heat I feel, literally, for you 94black.
LOL I feel the exact same way!! I was laughing with my mechanic the other day; he was asking about converting the A/C and fixing it in our car and I said to him, "Uh, yeh, if it's hot enough outside that you need A/C... and the roof is up on the Roadster.... uh... well, DROP THE ROOF!!!"

But, yeh, these beasts get rather warm in the cockpit that's for sure. The price of motorin' in sweet perfection!!