Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Lurching in drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Default Lurching in drive

Whenever I start up my 1986 Vette and place it in drive with foot on the brake, the car lurches forward, its not a smooth transition. It's been doing it for a while. The idle speed is correct, around 700 RPM's. Any thoughts? I cheecked the universal joints and they all seem to be tight.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
cwb
Default RE: Lurching in drive

ORIGINAL: NHRalph

Whenever I start up my 1986 Vette and place it in drive with foot on the brake, the car lurches forward, its not a smooth transition. It's been doing it for a while. The idle speed is correct, around 700 RPM's. Any thoughts? I cheecked the universal joints and they all seem to be tight.
Does the idle speed in park, or neutral, hold steady? Always? Warm and cold?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM
cwb

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_35195/tm.htm

Check what you've got against what he had. Be totally objective. Then we'll go from there...

Old 07-01-2007, 02:49 PM

ACTUALLY, my 1986 does the same thing. I also had my transmission rebuilt with a upgrade from 6 clutch to a 9 clutch pack. It still jerked when it changed. My 90 prior to this corvette did not do it. Upon research, which I hope to be correct, is that the later models had a piece added to soften the change that helped the transmission last longer. The earlier C4s did not have this in the auto so that is why it jerks by what I call it when you change gears. From any gear to neutral, it raises up a 100 or 200 RPMs in ALL of our cars at my house. Even our NEW hondas. I think your "lurch" is normal. If its smoking, smelling tranny fluid, leaking, grinding, or revving**gas but not moving** then yes I would be highly concerned as my car did all of the previous posted when the transmission took a large ****! Left me stranded back from a poker match at 10 p.m. To make matters worst, I lost the card game.Damn what a day. Luckily, daddy paid for it with a upgraded T.C. all for a nice price of 1800 dollars BUT since daddy was good friends with the man, he cut us slack and made it a even 1000. Now with the higher stall torque and upgraded 3 clutches it holds much better. I suggest looking into a tranny rebuild depending on your mileage. Our tranmissions are naturally weak from the factory. Mine died at 115,000 miles. Realative date of lose of active use is approximiatley 100,000 miles. Good luck! All this information is based on the fact that you have a auto. If you have a manual, please ignore my post. I saw drive though and I figured it was a auto like mine....Peace.[8D]

Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

ACTUALLY, my 1986 does the same thing.
But you're savin' for a laptop? Or interior mods? So the hot chick will dig ya for your car?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. It does it cold or warm, going from park or neautral into drive, it sort of engages hard and the car wants to move ahead. I only have 86K on it and other then that, it runs great, no slippage at all. I don't race it or try to burn rubber. From some of these posts, it might be normal, just thought there was something I could do to ease the transistion into drive.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

ACTUALLY, my 1986 does the same thing.

But you're savin' for a laptop? Or interior mods? So the hot chick will dig ya for your car?
I dontget it? My transmission jerks yea when you put it from park, to reverse to drive to neurtral. Its normal. The damn things new.Even the tranny guy said its normal. Yes, INEED new laptop because this oneI am on is shot. Found one for 400 dollars for college. As for the interior mods, Imeant as to clean it up a bit ya no. Nothing like racing seats ect. Yes, Iwant to get this chick for a nite or two DUH! I think your a guy, understand where I am coming from."I had" a long distance relationship which has been on and off and while its off, I am taking advanatage of it, unless somehow we make up, stop fighting and then that works well. Either way, it dont matter, they are both hot, both seem to be interested in me PHYSICALLY wise, so its all good. Car is just a +. I mean you cann be a 70 yr old geezer in a vette and younger chix still check you out.Any more bizare quiestions? One thing, what part of N.C. is eastern?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM

MY 86 jerks when it goes into gear. it has 130,000 miles, and it's been doing it since before I got it 10 years ago. I think it's normal with these early cars. just keep your foot on the brake shifting out of park or neutral.
OR you can wait till the cannister purge is completed, and the idle drops back to normal, and shift then.
I just don't think The General had enough time to work the bugs out of the programming for 1986 since they went to the new computer, anti-lock brakes, aluminum heads and electronic temp control all in one year, that was just 2 years after they could not keep up with production schedules and cancelled the 1983 year.
I think the car was so good right off, that they tried to add so much because it was available technology and didn't have enough people working on the problems. just my 2c worth

Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 PM

HOLD ON! COUPEGUY JUST SAID IT WAS NORMAL AS DID I, AS DID MY TRANNY GUY, YET CWB SAID THAT IN DIFF. WORDS THAT I NEED TO GET IT FIXED BECAUSE I AM WASTING MONEY FOR A LAPTOP AND TYRING TO GET A HOT CHICK 4 A NITE? DO WHAT? Am I mizzing summin here?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]