Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

mixing tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Default mixing tires

Have an o4 in addition to my 93. Has the goodyear runflats front and rear. Rear tires have lots of tread left, front ones getting thin. Want to change to a different tire, but don't want to toss the rear ones with lots of tread left. What do you think about replacing front with a different tire and running the EMT's on the back a while longer?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Default RE: mixing tires

Very different handling characteristics between an EMT Goodyear and other tires. I could go into a technical explanation, but as a tire dealer,I would definetely recommend against it.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM

I always look for a good reason to light up the tires, this sounds like one of those times!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM

If I was on a budget I'd go ahead and do it, then go off to a nice flat and safe mall parking lot and practice lane changes ans switchbacks and tight turns.There is no way to tell for sure without driving it. ButI'd expect a bit of strange turn in response -- the two ends of the car will be more different in how they react to a change in direction than in ultimate handling response -- meaning the car initially acting weird (understeer?) as you change direction but then settling down to a stable if different than stock cornering attitude (neutral steer). If you drive indicates it is too wierd, then spend the extra money.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Hi,my friend.If you want to put different tires on your car,well,do it;but only if you plan on burning the rears off to a cinder.I believe you must put the same brand tires on your car(no matter what tire brand you choose) in order for it to ride,handle,and perform the way it should.Otherwise,you MAY have issues regarding grip,wet-weather traction,and general un-even tire wear should you decide to go with different tires front-to-back.I would recommend going with all 4 new tires.That's the only way to be sure your Vette will "act",if you will,like a Vette.Always your friend,Joe.