Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

My car smells. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Default My car smells. Why?

Ok. Right now. Yes again. I am running straight manifolds for my exaust. Thats besides the point in my eyes but my car smells like anti-freeze. New thermostat, water pump, hoses, everythings tight, new radiator, new radiator cap. The overflow tank has a hole in the very top but its not open its just cracked........Is that why it smells so stinky after shutdown? [&:]

Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Default RE: My car smells. Why?

Is the engine drinking coolant (using coolant), what I mean by this, is the coolant leaking into the engine through a bad head gasket or cracked head or block, or are you smelling antifreeze in the cab (leaking heater core) ? The smell can get strong in the cab. If it's using water through combustion chambers, your going to smell it out of the exhuast.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 PM

That brings me to another quiestion. My heat does not work. It only blows out cold. I am suspecting its the heater core. Do you think that would cause the strong smell. A little in the cabin but once I cut the car off and walk past the hood I smell it strongly. I dont think its leaking in the motor. It stays pretty full.....Not sure. Once I get hte exaust fixed for ANOTHER time....Stuff is a real ***ch. It wont stay clamped on the front and I cant weld it if I ever had to remove the tranny.....Trying to solve everything at one time but it just aint happening.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM

If the heater core is leaking you will most likely get fogged windows but the thing should still blow hot air unless theres not enough coolant in the system, it sounds like your getting smell outside more than in the cabin. You can pressurize the system cold and try to hunt down the leak/leaks.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 PM

I gotta sign off, Ineed to get the wife to the airport by 5am, she's got some seminnar in Vegas,see ya.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Hey black86vette,I'm back, try to get a good look at the radiator right after you shut it down, when the system pressurizes from the heat it could be leaking from one or more of the radiator tubes, after shut down the coolant will vaporize at the site of the leak and you'll get a hot steamy antifreeze smell.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 PM

I checked the passenger side where it supposedly gets wet. Its a little....LITTLE damn near the door part. The part beside the shifter is dry.....Maybe it is two problems here.....I had a beach trip with my family in november and I drove my car and they drove our explorer....Damn thing left me stranded on the side of the road. The fan motor went out because the mechanic we took it too put on a USED fan motor. My dad was super pissed being stuck on the interstate with a overheating car.. Luckily it got to a ramp exit in burkwood south carolina and ill be damned there was a AC delco shop there. Only thing was.....The hood cable was broken....They couldnt get it open and we left our special tool at home....So we had to have it towed back to N.C. and lost a day of our vacation. We are going back in july and my dad said if it breaks hes leaving it there for the highway patrol to pick up or someone steal it.....So I am trying to get everything fixed. My blower motor is going out because it doesnt even blow the A.C. out hard. So he said that has to be fixed and the A.C. has to be recharged. I got a whole list of things......I just want the damn thing to work. I try to make it look good and I started putting on cosmetics like a system and tint in there.....and then **** breaks and I am out of $$$.

Heres a list I got so far of repairs that are needed....No lie....Its just his car is so old and it sat for a year with no one driving it. I think thats why everything is breaking plus pretty much everything is original....

The drivers side door lock needs to be replaced. Apparently the previous owner broke a key inside of it Center console lock is busted. Needs new spark plug wires. They have been on there for a while. The exaust is being reworked AGAIN! If you look at your windshield wipers the two springs that hold them to the winshield mine popped off. Dont ask me how but it did. My roof bolts need to be replaced because the back ones are so damn old I need the speedometer control that goes in the transmission that tells you how fast your car is going. I need new digidash bulbs because one burned out. My windows rattle so I suppose they need to be tightened up. I need to replace the top brakelights becuz one of the bulbs burned out. I need a new front tire because I repalced the other three becuz they are so damn expensive. I need a new power steering pump or a rack and pinion. Not sure though. The steering wheel is hard to turn sometimes. Mech the mechanic on here is guessing one of my headlight motors went out because it wont pop up but it goes down.....So I have to manually pull it up. My outer and innter window seals are shot they dont HAVE to be replaced but if water gets in there and reaches all the electronics im screwed. I bet my headlight gears are going to go becuase if the motor did......they wont be far behind.....My hand brake is worn out I need to change the differential fluid but that seems to complicated. Need a new blower, recharge the A.C. fix the heat problem......Probably replace the heater core I need a tire alignment. A new coolant sensor because when the radiator was changed out, apparently I got a bad one......darn what a surprise, New weatherstrip but I am NOT paying 500 dollars for a piece of rubber....Thats about it for the moment. My transmission already was rebuilt because it would not come out of first gear.....Piece of garbo. It died at about 110,000 miles. I guess it lived a pretty long life....Anything else I need to check? I have been saving and my dad has payed most of the repairs but I am getting a job this sumer to help keep it up and repay some of the $$ he put into it....Sounds like a bad car or that im lieing but its all true and I think it just needs some love because it was neglected for so long. Its old and like a person, stuff breaks....Its still fast and can whip alot of cars asses for its age and technical issues and it attracts alot of teenage girls

Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 PM

the time it took to type all that, you could have fixed two problems and picked up a few ladies. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Definetly a heater core replacement in your future.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 PM

May I ask how much for labor and parts together?

Quick Reply: My car smells. Why?