Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

The mystery of the oil...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:31 AM
cwb
Default RE: The mystery of the oil...

ORIGINAL: 72and86

CWB; if you give me your email, I can send you a pic the engine's work order and a pic of my RPO codes. I dont know how to do it here. As I said, Im not a mechanic. Im trying to peice to gether years of things ppl have told me and what Im experiencing and when... my email: illstudio at snet dot net
thanks STeve
I'llput my email address in my profile.

I don't think the rebuild order, or the build option codeswill tellus much.

But your first concern was the oil temp.

If you have no overdrive, your revs at highway speed will be higher, and the oil temp is gonna' be higher.

Even before you drive, what does the oil temp and pressure do, just idleing. At start-up, and after 4-5 minutes???

Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

I never looked at the oil pressure as I was concerned with the oil temp , that concerned me. Again, Im no mechanic. I took the car out today and the pressure was 80 when it started. It stayed at 80 till the oil temp hit about 160f after about 3 miles on back roads. The pressure then bounced from 80 -72 for a while then flirted with 60-64psi but always bouncing around 62-80psi. It seemed to fly all over the place as I was driving around town. At idle (in-nuetral) after running some errands it seemed stay around 64 (oil temp approx 223f. Total milage maybe 10 miles at 35mph). Ambient temp is about 70f. If it were 90 or + the temp would shoot up faster.

I did rev up the engine and i could be my imagination but the oil pressure shot up too. Is that normal?

The guy that rebuilt the engine said he installed a hi-flo pump in, not a hi-pressure pump.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
cwb

I never looked at the oil pressure as I was concerned with the oil temp , that concerned me. Again, Im no mechanic. I took the car out today and the pressure was 80 when it started. It stayed at 80 till the oil temp hit about 160f after about 3 miles on back roads. The pressure then bounced from 80 -72 for a while then flirted with 60-64psi but always bouncing around 62-80psi. It seemed to fly all over the place as I was driving around town. At idle (in-nuetral) after running some errands it seemed stay around 64 (oil temp approx 223f. Total milage maybe 10 miles at 35mph). Ambient temp is about 70f. If it were 90 or + the temp would shoot up faster.

I did rev up the engine and i could be my imagination but the oil pressure shot up too. Is that normal?

The guy that rebuilt the engine said he installed a hi-flo pump in, not a hi-pressure pump.
The #'s in this post are in spec. I see no problems here.

You will get a pressure range of around 30 -give or take a few- between idle and mid-range rpm's.

If oil temp is gettin' to 260 at drivin' speed, it has to be because your overdive is not engaging, as you say in post 6. This would also account for reduced gas mileage - post 9.

In my opinion, you need to keep this car under 45 mph, until the tranny is examined. A motor rebuild itself would do little to explain failure of OD to engage.

Anybody else???

Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 PM

I was told the OD not engaging isnt a problem, as it's like I have a regular 4sp? yes? NO? The engine was removed by one guy and rebuilt by another then put back by the first guy. The OD never worked once I got the car back. I thought is wasnt working because of other reasons till I took it to a Corvette place and he said "It looks like parts are missing to your OD". I dont know much about this drive/trannny so maybe you can fill me in on that or is he wrong?
I get the upshift arrow to OD but when I press the button, nothing happens. The arrow stays and RPMs unchanged. I had replaced the OD switch.
ideas?
Steve

Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
cwb

I was told the OD not engaging isnt a problem,
No OD = higher revs at highway speed = equals higher temps (including hi oil temp) = what you've got = problem.

The OD never worked once I got the car back.
Take it back. Tell him to fix what he broke.

I thought is wasnt working because of other reasons
???
It worked when I dropped it off; now it doesn't. Tell him to fix what he broke.

till I took it to a Corvette place and he said "It looks like parts are missing to your OD".
What parts? Get 'em. Or don't drive over 45 mph until you can.

Then we can eliminatean obvious possible causeof the problem.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Ah. I had the engine rebuilt in 1992. I went through a divorce and other family problems and started a family of my own, so the car was a low priority for nearly 15 yrs. But now as I have a little time, Id like to drive it.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
cwb

... , Id like to drive it.
Attaboy!!!

If it starts, drive.[8D]

Parts?[sm=forgetit.gif]