Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

new car, new problems..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Default new car, new problems..

so i just traded my 95 z28 with heads, a cam and boltons for a 92 vette thats totally stock. anywho, i just was driving today, and the brake light came on, along with the service ABS and service ASR lights. i took it and got it scanned, and apparently its throwing abs 72 and 83 codes, but nothing with the ASR.. does anyone know what this is all about? help a vette newb out?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Ric
Default RE: new car, new problems..

Hi Irish
Welcome to the world of the corvette toy. The more you work with them the more you will love them for life.
To start with code 83 is a brake fluid low level. this is low fluid level, brake pads could be extremely wore, or it could be the fluid level switch itself.Maybe a leak have to start checking.

code 72 Data link fault
if you don't have a ccm code 41 it probably willhave a open between the ebcm and the ccm.

Irish also remove your battery and have it checked for a bad cell. these cars will go crazy with a bad cell and low voltage.
I would highly suggest you get the service manual for the 92 corvette. It will be the most important tool you will use and even if you don't do your own work it will help you save some money.( Don't by the Haynes manual) A good place to check for a manual is ebay. should be a 2 book set and sometimes a 3 book set.
There is a great deal of knowledge on this sight (more than mine) somebody should be along to help.
Good Luck
Ric W

Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site. I don't know much about codes for your '92 but I'm sure some one will jump in and have the answers. Mech259 will probably be along soon. Don't forget the wave. Cheers

sorry it was dark and my eyes are shot from watching a stupid 65" TV.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 AM

well, i was headed home and i got on the car (about a 3/4 mile stretch with no other cars and no entrances/exits).. i turned a corner and shifted into second (from 4th) and once i let out the clutch and stepped on the gas the lights lit up again. i asked the previous owner if they ever came on with him, and his response was "only when i did something wrong".. i asked what he meant, but he didnt respond (damn text messages), so im not really sure what to think.. this car is my first manual (im an a4 kinda guy), and i literally learned how to drive a manual with this car (started about 5 days ago, but im still learning), so i guess i could just be doing something wrong

Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

The data link fault means that one of the modules on the bus is not communicating for whatever reason. Also check all fuses to make sure you have power across them. Without my Tech 2 scanner, cannot identify which module is dead. More than likely, your EBCM has the problem and is not communicating.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Irish, my 92 has a similar, if not the exact same problem as yours. However, my lights don't come on unless I brake real hard, as in the anti-lock brakes turn on. Also, my check engine light is included with the others. I had a shop look at it and they aretelling me to get the ECM replaced (see the thread entitled ECM...). I'm going to pull the codes on mine and will update afterward.

Welcome to site!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM

cool man, ill be interested to see what you find out

Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 PM

just thought id update, bump this one to the top..

it seems like the car only does this under 'heavy' braking.. today going 80-20 on an offramp it did it, but it also does it sometimes when i dont think it should (not that it should in the first place, but in situations that are even less warranted).. so im gonna replace the pads and have the whole system bled and replace fluid and see how that goes

Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM

So among the codes pulled on mine was 26, which could mean a failed relay on the EGR, canister purge, or AIR pump. Or, it means ECM failure. This doesn't appear related to the hard braking and subsequent warning lights lighting up. The car is running perfectly otherwise.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Ric

Hi irish
I also got the abs & the asr active lights and the abs & asr service lightson hard breaking and the corvette would nose dive under hard breaking. my rear pads were shot and the parking break was way out of adjustment. Replacing the pads. sanding the rotors and spending a lot of time on the parking brake adjustment. cured it all. I can tell you the 92 corvette brakes are excellent. My car no longer nose dives and it feels like it is being sucked down to the pavement. The only light I have now is abs active if I stop hard. I think thats normal operation of the pressure bleeding back from the rear brakes through the abs system. At this time I have not bin able to test for full abs action because I don't drive it in bad weather. The only emerg stops I have made are at 55 on dry pavement and the wheels wont lock the car just sucks itself down to the road. I have heard allot about c4 brakes being terrible but I'm not seeing this I would give this car (1992) a 10 for brakes. As for the asr light i now see it flashif I take off about half throttle and I can feel the gas peddle lift. I think it is working correctly. Take a look at your rear braking system if it isnt working right it will give you the abs service lights. I'm not saying this is your fix but it was mine. Hope this helps some.
Good Luck irish
Ric W.

Quick Reply: new car, new problems..