Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Default new clutch?

i have a 89 six speed. the guy who i bought it from said its probably ganna need a new cluth soon. i've put about 2,000 miles on it since i've had it. now im getting a grinding/ scraping noise that sounds like metal to metal in the clutch housing and the noise wurs up as the rpm's increase. the noise is gone in netuarl and my foot off the clutch. anybody had these problems or know what the cause might be? thank you thank you thank you. -joe.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: new clutch?

sounds like you need a new clutch assembly. and metal on metal sounds like you may need a new flywheel as well.
"what a revoltin' development." good luck with it. cheers

Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM

thanks a lot man. i gotta get that done.. cars.. nothin but time and money.. but its well worth it. thanks again

Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry....wasn't trying to be a smart azz. I know it kinda sounded that way but I certainly didn't mean it that way. if you are mechanical inclined you should be able to do the R&R yourself. I would be afraid to drive it in its current condition as you can easily cause significant damage to the bellhousing and transmission. Not sure what the bellhousing is made of but I assume it's aluminum. If the clutch explodes it could get hairy in the cockpit. Please have it looked at soon. be careful and good luck with it. Cheers

Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Hello.I think you might need a whole new clutch assembly.From what you're saying,it sounds pretty bad...I wouldn't drive it too much.Maybe you might consider an upgrade,like to a Centerforce assembly.But I say,fix it first and then enjoyit.It might save you a lot of money in the long run.Good luck and tell us how it goes,ok?Your friend,Joe.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 PM

thanks a lot guys. i stopped driving it when it first started it. ill let you know how it goes.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM

hahaha i need money

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: renegade664

i have a 89 six speed. the guy who i bought it from said its probably ganna need a new cluth soon. i've put about 2,000 miles on it since i've had it. now im getting a grinding/ scraping noise that sounds like metal to metal in the clutch housing and the noise wurs up as the rpm's increase. the noise is gone in netuarl and my foot off the clutch. anybody had these problems or know what the cause might be? thank you thank you thank you. -joe.
What happens when it's in [any] gear, and the clutch pedal is to the floor? Is it quiet? Any pulling of the vehicle?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM

If it goes away when your clutch is in, its probably the throw out bearing at this point. Unless he has been driving it for a while with the TOB being bad I dont see how he would be grinding down the flywheel.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

10 miles with no clutch surface is a long time. I guess we'll not know until he tears it down and hopefully posts the results. I hope it's just a TOB. Cheers

Quick Reply: new clutch?