Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Default RE: new clutch?

hey guys. i just got back from OBX, NC so i couldn't talk for a while. ill keep you posted on progress. do clutches usually come with a tob? i can't wait to drive my vet again

Old 07-14-2007, 03:08 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: renegade664

hey guys. i just got back from OBX, NC so i couldn't talk for a while. ill keep you posted on progress. do clutches usually come with a tob? i can't wait to drive my vet again
Not normally. Islinkage a hydraulic, or mechanical?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

sounds like you need a new clutch assembly. and metal on metal sounds like you may need a new flywheel as well.
"what a revoltin' development." good luck with it. cheers
I think that a new flywheel is almost a given with these cars that use the dual-mass.

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Sorry....wasn't trying to be a smart azz. I know it kinda sounded that way but I certainly didn't mean it that way. if you are mechanical inclined you should be able to do the R&R yourself. I would be afraid to drive it in its current condition as you can easily cause significant damage to the bellhousing and transmission. Not sure what the bellhousing is made of but I assume it's aluminum. If the clutch explodes it could get hairy in the cockpit. Please have it looked at soon. be careful and good luck with it. Cheers
I didn't think you sounded like a smart-*** at all. Actually, I'm thinking that these flywheel housings are magnesium, aren't they? Ah yes, the flammable metal! It's really doubtful though that any noise problems have to do with bellhousing contact unless components have come loose. But still, you're very correct to not drive it until more is known. You're likely looking at a grand~ in parts. But once done and done right, you're good to go for many more miles.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:30 PM

thanks a lot guys. this might sound like a dumb question...but... where can i find a quality TOB? i've found a cluth kit from carolina clutchs and performance. but no TOB. i want to replace everything. and one more question... is there any specail rutines or things i should know about before i go about this? i've been a tech for quite sometime now, at various places. but never a chevy dealer. i'm wondering if its worth paying someone to do it. or if you guys think its a self do-able job in the drive way on jack stands. thanks so much for your help fellas. i can't thank you enough.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: renegade664

thanks a lot guys. this might sound like a dumb question...but... where can i find a quality TOB? i've found a cluth kit from carolina clutchs and performance. but no TOB. i want to replace everything. and one more question... is there any specail rutines or things i should know about before i go about this? i've been a tech for quite sometime now, at various places. but never a chevy dealer. i'm wondering if its worth paying someone to do it. or if you guys think its a self do-able job in the drive way on jack stands. thanks so much for your help fellas. i can't thank you enough.
Go to advance adapters for your bearing. They make,or supply every part for puttin' every drivetrain ever built, into old jeeps and old broncos. They might be able only to get your original GM part, and they might say go to the dealer too, but check anyway.

EDIT: Try here too:
http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts
And look at some of those LS2 twisters too, huh? [sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Does the car have any pull at all when you let out the clutch, or do the rpms just increase like it is free spinning? If you can still get some grip, you still have a bit of clutch left, and the damage shouldnt be *that* great.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM

yea the clutch pulls fine. no slipping what so ever. its just the noises it makes are haorrible. no vet should sound like that. you guys kick ***. my birthday is tom. i have a feeling i know what i'm getting... i hope. thanks again guys. you don't even know how much your helping me.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Happy birthday man! hope you get you vette fixed. Cheers

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Any way you look at it, your going to drop the tranny and look at it. So,

1) Replace clutchassemble (pressurevplate, clutch, fly wheel, and through out bearing)

2) Make sure thehydraulic clutch is working andproperly adjusted(it must bebleed of air properly)

3) Be prepared to replace the drive shaft u-joints.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM

thanks a lot! im 21 now hahaha yes! my girl bought me a clutch for my bday so im ganne get that tranny out this week end. i got corvette repair manuals and computer programs too. itexplains and shows how to bleed the system properly. im excited as hell. im dying to drive my corvy.thanks again guys... ill keep you posted.

Quick Reply: new clutch?