Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

New to VETTES

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Default New to VETTES

I'm thinking of buying a used Vette. I really don't know squat about mechanics but I do appreciate a good ride. But like most of you, I've always wanted one of these beauties. 95% of my work will be performed by a mechanic. I realize this can (will) be somewhat expensive. I'm looking for your expert opinions concerning the '85 (27,000 miles) thats listed in these classifieds. What are some potential problems for this year? What other questions should I be asking?
Please share your thoughts and concerns. Thanks!!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Default RE: New to VETTES

Welcome aboard You will love your baby when you purchase her!

I have an '87 work-in-progress that I purchased a couple of summers ago. Here are a few of the things I was told to look out for: First of all the engine compartment should be VERY clean. No leaks around the gasketing. No drips underneath. No dry rotting on the hoses. Radiotor should be free of rust and debris. Radiator fluid should be clean, fins free of rust. Oil should not be blackened. Air induction shoould be free of cracks.

I was also told to inspect the vehicles gasketing closely. It is quite extensive. Runs around the entire hood, top, hatch back, windows etc... Should be free of dry rotting and cracks. Unless you like to get wet

Undercarraige is an obvious. No rust, tie rods good, boots good, no signs of fluid leaks around drain pan, brake lines, tranny and such. Gas tank in good shape.

Body should be straight in the lines. (i.e. gaps between panels are of equal distances). No major blemishes. Wheels free of rust. Tires not dry rotted, no signs of poor wear, proper inflation maintained. Valve caps good with the stems free of debris.

Interior: Anything motorized should work. Windows up and down smoothly. Dash works. Carpeting may have "sun-burn" depending on body type and storage conditions.

CARFAX.com is an obvious for money WELL-SPENT!

Test driving is a given. I like to do it during different situations, day-time, night-time, city, highway. Just to make sure she runs straight and true. Smooth acceleration, straight and smooth braking, smooth handling, good cornering etc...

I'm sure I missed a billion other things but my fingers are starting to hurt ( yes, both of them)

Good luck and keep the wave alive[8D]

Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

Welcome aboard You will love your baby when you purchase her!

I have an '87 work-in-progress that I purchased a couple of summers ago. Here are a few of the things I was told to look out for: First of all the engine compartment should be VERY clean. No leaks around the gasketing. No drips underneath. No dry rotting on the hoses. Radiotor should be free of rust and debris. Radiator fluid should be clean, fins free of rust. Oil should not be blackened. Air induction shoould be free of cracks.

I was also told to inspect the vehicles gasketing closely. It is quite extensive. Runs around the entire hood, top, hatch back, windows etc... Should be free of dry rotting and cracks. Unless you like to get wet

Undercarraige is an obvious. No rust, tie rods good, boots good, no signs of fluid leaks around drain pan, brake lines, tranny and such. Gas tank in good shape.

Body should be straight in the lines. (i.e. gaps between panels are of equal distances). No major blemishes. Wheels free of rust. Tires not dry rotted, no signs of poor wear, proper inflation maintained. Valve caps good with the stems free of debris.

Interior: Anything motorized should work. Windows up and down smoothly. Dash works. Carpeting may have "sun-burn" depending on body type and storage conditions.

CARFAX.com is an obvious for money WELL-SPENT!

Test driving is a given. I like to do it during different situations, day-time, night-time, city, highway. Just to make sure she runs straight and true. Smooth acceleration, straight and smooth braking, smooth handling, good cornering etc...

I'm sure I missed a billion other things but my fingers are starting to hurt ( yes, both of them)

Good luck and keep the wave alive[8D]
These are good points but good luck with these items on a 21 year old car.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 AM

When I bought my 86, the first thing I did was check the carfax. Second, I hired a mechanic (my dad) and he went thru the car with a fine tooth comb. After everything checked out I bought the car. Of course, the final verdict will be yours.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM

A twenty year old car will probably have a few issues... the key is to identify them and make sure you are willing to tackle them, or ignore them, depending on the situation....

But, yeh, like payton34 said, I had mine completely checked over by a mechanic before moving ahead with the deal, just to be sure I knew what we were getting into. And CARFAX... never buy a used car without doing that... I have been burnt before, BAD, so...... there's some good advice too.