Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

No fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Default No fuel pressure

Just installed a new crate motor in the Vette and I can't get the motor to run. The most obvious thing I've come across is that I'm unable to get fuel pressure to the rails. I tried applying battery voltage to the diagnostic terminal (terminal "G") but I still don't have anything. The car sat about 2 years with 1/4 tank of gas. Is it just the fuel pump that's broken or what else should I be looking at here?? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No fuel pressure

Do you have spark, injector pulse? Have someone turn the key on while you listen at the fuel filler neck with the cap off to hear if the pump runs. It will only run for about 2 seconds when turning the key on, so you might have to cycle the key. Wait about 2 or 3 seconds in between. If you have no spark, could affect fuel pump running, because if the ECM sees no ignition signal from pickup coil, it will not run fuel pump. Good Luck

Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 AM

We got it running!!! I pulled the fuel pump and couldn't believe what the inside of the tank looked like. I used a wet vac to get all of the trash and old gas out. The car had simply sat too long for the gas to be useable. I tried hooking the fuel pump up to 12 volts and confirmed that it was indeed dead. I cleaned out the tank till it was spotless inside with some old rags. I then installed a new pump and disconnected the fuel lines and flushed the system of all the bad gas. Then I installed a new fuel filter, bled the lines and started the car. Now it's up and running but I'm getting trouble codes 13 and 34. 13 is supposed to be oxygen sensor related which makes since because the car doesn't have it's exhaust bolted up yet. 34 is supposed to be mass airflow sensor so I guess years of sitting killed it. We'll be sorting some of that out in the next couple of days but still have lots of work to be done. I'll keep ya'll posted!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Code 34 on MAF might indicate that you don't have power to sensor. Unplug the harness check to see if you have 12v on one of the wires with key on.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 PM

Im looking to put a carte motor in my 90 roadster. What year is your vette and any chance of getting the name of the company you got your crate motor from? I have a L98 with a 100,000, not sure if I want it rebuilt or changed. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 PM

It's just a 330 HP Goodwrench motor. Runs pretty good but you'll have to get a new lower intake to make this particular motor work because it has "Vortech" heads on it. Oh yeah, the car is an 86. It works pretty good though, we just gotta sort out a few issues here and there.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 AM

You need a fuel pressure switch, they go out periodically.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 AM

fuel pressure switch??? OK, I'm not too sure that I'm ever seen that in any repair manual. I'm not gonna flame you because you're newer than me and I'm still trying to make friends and not come off as an A##HOLE. If these cars had such a switch, we'd never have stalling/starving symptroms from a clogged fuel filter. The computer would just tell us what is wrong. Instead, if you have a motor that's starving for fuel, it will act like a whole lot of symptoms that would point to a bad sensor or vacuum leak but it'll never throw a "Check Engine" light. These cars have no clue as to whether or not there is sufficient fuel so they cannot detect the abundance or lack of fuel. READ UP A LITTLE!!!! Thanks for your interest!!!! For now, I'm waiting for a new Mass Airflow Sensor to try and help mine out.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 PM

Sandcobra, lighten-up dude... We are all just trying to help each other here. I'm somewhat new here too. However, your response is a little harsh don't ya think? That type of response will actually discourage people from wanting to respond to anything you post.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:00 AM

well, sorry to offend but as and ARMY Sergeant, I kinda like to stray away from B.S.!!! I guess maybe I am a little harsh but I expect out of everyone the same thing I expect from my soldiers. Unless you have direct experience/knowledge as to what you are suggesting, be quiet because a wrong answer can costs soldiers' lives. I'm pretty knowlegable with military tactics and pretty dang good with cars as well since I'm mechanically inclined. I just don't like posts that send me looking for a "fuel pressure switch" when there is no such thing on the car. I like direct, precision answers. Sorry but I've been this way since my first tour in Iraq and the second one didn't lighten me up any. Thanks for your concern!!!

Another hardened ******* veteran,
SGT Joseph Carson (sandcobra164)

Quick Reply: No fuel pressure