Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

NTSB seat belt recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Default NTSB seat belt recall

Well, folks, I heard recently there was a NTSB recall on the seat belts for our cars, with a problem with the retractor. Our car definately has this problem, so I went down to the dealership today to talk to them. They discovered our car is most certainly eligible for this fix. But. Here's the kicker; they can only find one belt, not both, because GM has discontinued manufacturing them!! I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing before! We ain't drivin' Edsels here, are we? Argh.

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and if anyone has any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Default RE: NTSB seat belt recall

WELL... I personally havent experienced the same problem, but I do know that after 10 years, i believe it is, an auto manufacturer isnt required to continue manufacturing any part for any car. If i am right about the 10 years, then that would mean that only off-the-wall factory reproductions of seat belts may be available for your car... sorry friend...[&:]

Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM

I am getting very angry!!! I might have to unleash my Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator on Chevrolet!!

Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

WELL... I personally havent experienced the same problem, but I do know that after 10 years, i believe it is, an auto manufacturer isnt required to continue manufacturing any part for any car. If i am right about the 10 years, then that would mean that only off-the-wall factory reproductions of seat belts may be available for your car... sorry friend...[&:]
10 years, eh? I did not know that, Matt. Very interesting. Disappointing.. but, interesting. I guess this comes with driving quasi-rare vehicles... GM just doesn't see the merit (you can read that as "money") in making parts for such an old car. BUMMER!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Well, folks, I heard recently there was a NTSB recall on the seat belts for our cars, with a problem with the retractor. Our car definately has this problem, so I went down to the dealership today to talk to them. They discovered our car is most certainly eligible for this fix. But. Here's the kicker; they can only find one belt, not both, because GM has discontinued manufacturing them!! I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing before! We ain't drivin' Edsels here, are we? Argh.

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and if anyone has any suggestions?
I TOOK MY BELTS OUT AND INSTALLED 6 POINT HARNESS,,,,,,MUCH BETTER AND SAFER

Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 AM

Just wondering what years this includes, mine is a 88. Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: joeinindy

Just wondering what years this includes, mine is a 88. Thanks
Check with your dealership; I think you are probably eligible for this too!! But, again, they might not have them anymore... check and let us know?

Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: corvette king

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

I TOOK MY BELTS OUT AND INSTALLED 6 POINT HARNESS,,,,,,MUCH BETTER AND SAFER
That's a real good idea.... I would do it, too, but... we are really trying to restore the car to near perfect stock condition, so.....

Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 PM

OK, I got word back from Ecklers this morning:

Qty Item Number Unit Price Description Rtl Price
UM
1 31872 147.99 Seat Belt,Flm Red Cnv LH,87-89 147.99 EA
1 31873 237.99 Seat Belt,Flm Red Cnv RH,86-89 237.99 EA

Yikes, that's not cheap. Oh well, at least I guess I am relieved to find that they are still available, even though it's not directly from GM.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Checked with the chevy dealer and yes they are covered on my 88, should find out this morning if they can get the belts, good part is they should be covered by GM at no charge to me. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the heads up on the recall.

Quick Reply: NTSB seat belt recall