Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Oh my god!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Angry Oh my god!

Hey All;

I am new here and will try to make this as "non-lengthy" as I can...

Did I mention that I may end up in prison for a very long time? No? Well, let me explain...

I am a retired police officer, here in the State of Maine. I was medically retired (I'm only 47 now) after being diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia due to exposure during my work at what once was "The World Trade Center". No further explanation needed.

After going into remission (and then not being in remission) a couple of times, I decided that the time had come to buy my dream car.

I looked and looked and then, on a day I was not looking, I found it: a pristine 1987 Silver-Beige Metallic C-4 Coupe with 21, 666 miles (an omen maybe?). This car came with the original sticker, dealers order sheet, the salesman's card and the calender the original owner got and even the original tires (new ones were recently installed; the guy didn't want the old ones taking up space in his garage.).

I was able to enjoy the 'vette for the summer of '05 and then winter came. I had someone show me how to winterize it, etc. So, springtime '06: Enjoyed the HELL out of it all summer (and somehow managed to put 20k miles on it!), taking care to do the upkeep, etc. I washed and polished this car 3X a week!

Fall of 2006: Cancer came back and, after a pretty dicey period in the hospital for a dozen days, I had to go into a nursing home. I had lost the use of both legs. A good friend offered to go get the car out of impound (I know, Long story!) because, when I was rushed to the ER, I was taking a sightseeing tour around coastal Maine and was staying at a motel. Well, they had the car towed and the impound fee was $1,300.00

Anyway, she said that she had talked with her husband and he gave the OK to store my car in his mothers barn. I wasn't too thrilled with idea of that, but, not owning a garage, and not being able to afford the $1,000 winter storage fee (nursing homes SUCK the money and the life outta ya!), I agreed.

I was in the nursing home until about 6 weeks ago. After finding a new condo (with a garage!), it was time to get my baby out of storage.

(Cue angry, "there's a killer with a big f'ing knife right behind you" music here...)

My car has sat, not in a barn, but in the woods across the street from their house! I litteraly threw up: the car was covered, not even with a blue plastic tarp, it was covered with branches, pine needles, pitch, etc. There is a COATING of mildewy type stuff on the body, when I opened the door, 2 mice jumped out. The leather seat are covered with mold and fungus of some type, the steering wheel and many other interior parts are dry rotted.

So, my questions are:

1.) Where do I start with trying to bring the car back to MY condition, and
2.) She actually wants me to pay her the $1,300 that she paid for the impound!
The keys are in it and I'm thinking about just going there with a flatbed and TAKING it before any MORE damage can happen. Oh, I forgot; I ALSO had gone shopping for new clothes the day before I ended up in the hospital. $400 worth of clothing, a really nice $275 leather gym bag all destroyed.

Honestly, I'm asking what any of you would do (short of the knife thing).

HELP!

I'd like to be able to go for just a few more rides (oh yeah, leukemia is back and it's going to win this time; I have about 8-12 months.)

Thanks for any and all input: I'm truly sick and heartbroken about this.

Be safe
Bob
Here are a couple pics before and, when I can calm down enough to go back, I'll add the after pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mecop186/20100311#

Last edited by mecop186; 03-11-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Wow... 23 views and not one pointer?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Man,I so feel your pain! About alL I can add is that the restoration will cost you many times over what another vette would. If you can handle the exercise,tear it apart and sell it on fleabay one piece at a time? Maybe you can work out some of the frustration that way? Not so very long ago I would have suggested the knife solution for the friend and hubby,but really that's not cool! If you can stifle the feeling of abandonment to your old vette,get another and enjoy it as much as you can. Make a down payment on a two (or so) year old Z06 and drive the bejabers out of it!
I wish I could do more!
Ron

Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know if you have many options.
Sue the "B" for the damage she caused?
Part it out?
Sell it for what you can get?
Do you have insurance that'll cover the loss?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by C3 Starship
Don't know if you have many options.
Sue the "B" for the damage she caused?
Part it out?
Sell it for what you can get?
Do you have insurance that'll cover the loss?
Hi and thanks for commenting...
Nope, took the insurance off because... wait for it... the car was supposed to be in a barn that would have had insurance. I'm going in the morning to put her on a car carrier and bring her home... to my garage! And then (well, once I get the mice out... did I mention I am terrified of rodents? 2 of the little f'ers jumped out of the car when I opened the door the other day and, because I was so upset and puking, I didn't even freak about the mice!)
I've spent a few hours pricing replacement parts using the "Eklers" catologe... and I have to say, while some of the items aren't too bad, the majority are waaay pricey (a complete weatherstripping kit = $499.99!). Does anyone have another company that is more reasonable priced?

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.You might try Wilcox. They have a good product.Look for the forum specials tag .