Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Possibly a newbie question.. (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/possibly-newbie-question-7006/)

blade83 07-24-2007 09:05 AM

Possibly a newbie question..

Hey all :D

Recently been watching shows like 5th gear amongst others, and they have a rather large dislike for the Corvette, Their main complaint is always the same though, the fact they use very dated suspension set-ups, my question which might be hard to answer is.. Why?

Surely Cheverolet have the technology to develop something more sophisticated,The Z brought independant multi link front and rear suspension in 1989, 5th gear always quote how the brittish gave up on leaf springs when the romans invaded, and I can remember one test drive where they put a pebble on the ground, ran over it, then proceded to complain of back pain... I dont claim to be a mechanic or have any engineering knowledge what so ever, so since American cars get such a hard time about not being able to turn corners, Why has chevy persisted with the set-up, What is its actual advantage?

Ive been scratching my noodle for days trying to come up with excuses and its annoying me [:@]I thought I'd ask real people in the know :)perhaps Im strange, but I want a car that is loud, obnoxious, uncomfortable and a battle to drive, my last Vette fit that bill Perfectly, 5 mins in the car felt like 5 rounds with mike tyson, and I wouldnt have it any other way :Dmy current car is a typical aussie comfort machine, and is about as exciting as watching paint dry.. can't wait to get back in my Vette :D

LeesVette 07-24-2007 10:07 AM

RE: Possibly a newbie question..

The C6 Z06 elevated Chevy to a whole new class. Jeremy Clarkson is a tool anyway.

RudeDog 07-25-2007 06:25 AM

I really don't want my Corvette to run/sound/ride like a Cadillac.

blade83 07-25-2007 07:16 AM

Heheh well all valid points :).. cept ive never seen a cadillac before..No doubt the Z06 is a massive leap forward in nearly every way.. but it still uses a Live axle, which by any suspension standard is as dated as it comes..

so Im still looking for something to help me with my noodle scratcher.. I just want one excuse why chevy with all its Experience, and money, still uses things like live axles, others have asked me why I want a vette, and questioned their suspension, I just want something educated to tell them back rather than.. I Dunno?! Anything?Are theylazy? Aretheytoo tight to put $1 into R&D to see what other cars have? Perhaps they are trying to perfect a system different to anything else, like mazda with the wankel, this one I'd love to believe.

Nothing will make me stop loving the corvette, I just need to answer this one question [8D]

hcflyer 07-25-2007 01:22 PM

Price.If you want to spend 911 turbo money for a vette then you'd have new technology.Thats why the new shelby mustang has a solid axle,ford didn't think their buyers would pay 5 grand extra for independent.On the other hand,the "antiquated" Vettes seem to hold their own which seem to irk know it alls like clarkson.Give me 500 horse daily driveable over a drive and repair sewing machine motor anyday.

LeesVette 07-25-2007 02:22 PM

How can you argue with GM's take on handling performance when the base C6 will pull a .98 G slalom and arguably one of the best handling cars in the world, the Lamborghini Murcielago, pulls just over a G for several times the money.

red90vettesc 07-25-2007 03:33 PM

I don't know where you are getting your information from that the Z06 or any Corvette for that matter has a "Live Rear Axle". My 1990 C4 has a completely Aluminum 5 Link rear independant suspension and handles well enought to scare the hell out of most passengers that ride it, not to mention has a very decent ride. The car is going on 18 yrs old and everyone that rides is in dis-belief that the car is old as it is. The last Aussie Machine that was brought to the States was the Pontiac GTO, (AKA Holden Monaro) and it was a major flop with its soft suspension and dated looks. The Corvette may very well be a bit rough around the edges but pick up this monthes Car and Driver. If I was Porshe I would be ashamed that my 911 GT3 which listed for $165000 what completely humbled by a $76000 Z06 at Virginia's International Raceway. As with any Corvette, there simply is not a better bang for the buck in the world.

LeesVette 07-25-2007 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: red90vettesc

I don't know where you are getting your information from that the Z06 or any Corvette for that matter has a "Live Rear Axle". My 1990 C4 has a completely Aluminum 5 Link rear independant suspension and handles well enought to scare the hell out of most passengers that ride it, not to mention has a very decent ride. The car is going on 18 yrs old and everyone that rides is in dis-belief that the car is old as it is. The last Aussie Machine that was brought to the States was the Pontiac GTO, (AKA Holden Monaro) and it was a major flop with its soft suspension and dated looks. The Corvette may very well be a bit rough around the edges but pick up this monthes Car and Driver. If I was Porshe I would be ashamed that my 911 GT3 which listed for $165000 what completely humbled by a $76000 Z06 at Virginia's International Raceway. As with any Corvette, there simply is not a better bang for the buck in the world.
Nail head meet hammer. Summed it up perfectly. And I will add to reiterate what you said.People complain (and I am not saying the OP was complaining) that the Corvette is expensive but look what you get. A car with world class performance at a price that is unbelievable compared to cars with the same performance level. The Z06 is just incredible when you look at the class of car that it takes to meet its performance. You won't find Ferrari's, Lamborghini's or any other exotics that are as cheap as the Corvette C6Z06. Even when the Blue Devil/SS comes ouyt (if it ever does) with a price tag of approximately 100K, that is still a bargain for what is projected to be the ultimate in North American muscle. Whats a comparable car's price for that level of performance $175K? $200K? More?

blade83 07-26-2007 03:46 AM

Ahh now this is good stuff, I can understand where you guys are coming from, Chevy wants to keep the price down for you which is really cool, but the rest of the world sees it as them being stuck in the stone ages, Because from what you say, about needing to pay $200k+ for a comparable car, but here a Z06 is actually more expensive than some ferrari's or porsches, The Ticket price on a Z06 here is over $250,000.. Over here the car of choice is the Nissan GTR, they are EVERYWHERE! the 300kph supercar, Attessa 4wd, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel independant multi-link front and rear, stock 1/4 mile time of 12.9.. anda total costof about $12,000 USD(yes I had one) But you never ever see a Vette, they are as rare as it gets here, and with the price of them you can see why..

I think I understand.. Made in America, For America :Dand you just have to live there to understand :)

Oh and yes the Holden Monaro is a piece of junk, They are bloody everywhere here, but its because the holden is Australias hero car.. certainly not mine. [:'(]

red90vettesc 07-26-2007 09:31 AM

I still don't get where you think the Vette is in the stone ages. There is nothing but well honed high tech about the current C6. It is more car than 95% of the population will ever be able to extrapolate all of it abilities. Hell, a basic C6 has 400HP, a 6 Spd Maunual or Auto, and trust me has no problem hitting triple digits speeds, there are two of these cars in my family. As for a Nissan Skyline, they may be a great car in Australia, but I just sold my 06Nissan Xterra because it spent as much time in the pathetic dealer as it did in my driveway. I believe you may be in the wrong forum if you want to keep saying that Corvettes are in the stone ages, theCorvette owners here are a little more proud than that!

blade83 07-26-2007 06:24 PM

No no, make sure you read my original post.. Im not saying they are in the stone ages, I want to know why people like 5th gear are saying they are, and if so why haven't they changed, But its becoming clear, I was a corvette owner, and I am looking for another, so I have great pride in the car also,But I have watched many reviews slander the Vette's suspension, and was wondering why.. As I said.. Im no Engineer. I thought maybe there was an unforseen advantage in the way they did things.

LeesVette 07-26-2007 08:16 PM

The only person that really turns his nose up at the C6is Jeremy Clarkson. I think he gets to drive all these exotic, mega dollar cars with supercar performance and when he drove the C6 Z06 that cost less than half of what those others cars cost and had better performance capabilities he was miffed. It kind of makes you wonder just how much those exotic European car manufacturers paid him to talk down about the Z. He said it was only good for the track I think he knows damned good and well just how phenomenal the C6 Zo6 is. He didn't just sing the Viper's praises either but thats a whole other subject.

red90vettesc 07-26-2007 11:03 PM

Ok, sorry that I got a bit huffy, but who ever the hellClarkson is, he must be getting paid alot to trash the new Z06. As with LeesVette, I have been to the Corvette Factory in Kentucky, and I sure we have both seen a new Corvette being born, the last time I went in 2004, pre-production C6 engineering mules where being made right there in the factory along with the last C5s. When you are there you really learn to appreciate how sophisticated the corvette really is, from its one piece hydroformed frame rails, to its aluminum suspension, to its tried and true, OHV V8. The Corvette is one of the few true sports cars to survive over 50 yrs in production. I have been lucky enough to ride and drive almost every generation, and it simply amazes mehow good a 1967 really was, even to ride in today, and to ride in a new C6 and look out the windshield and see those front fenders sticking up just like they did 40 yrs ago. Corvettesare about heritage, heritage and technology that has been built up generation after generation. Obviously, Jeremy Clarkson just does not get it. I hope he gets the opportunity to drivethe newZ07 or SS, and make an assout of himself once again. Hopefully he will be driving along in one of his exoctics and someone in a newVette will embarass the hell out of him, lol.:D

LeesVette 07-27-2007 06:58 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson
He does Top Gear, we do not get the show here in the states. Its a good show except when he did the Corvette test review. He stretched the legs on a Bugatti Veyron to 240 MPH. He also like to destroy cars he doesn't like and he made a 15 minute or so video of shooting, dropping and basically trashing different generations of Corvettes - mainly C4's.

blade83 07-27-2007 10:29 AM

Well yes I dont believe he gets them, even though im Aussie, I like to believe that I "Get them" :)

I loved every minute of my 78 C3, it was cramped, Loud, uncomfortable, harsh, impractical, and dangerous.. and I wouldn't have had it any other way :Dit was a car that used to bring me constant pleasure, and if I wasn't driving it, I was sitting in it, or giving it a polish and full detail...if your going to say "A C3 isn't that cramped" remember we drive them sitting on your passenger side, it was never designed to have a wheel and pedals there [8D]

Really I wish the Vette was as affordable here as they are for you guys, because the new ones are just as expensive, and even more expensive than most porsches or ferrari's, people here choose them over the vette, so Im not lucky enough to drive them unless I buy them, so im buying a C4 now, in 20 years time I may be able to afford a C5 they are only $100,000 here:DAs a big fan of Americana they do give a great sense of heritage and history.. more so than anything else Ive had the pleasure of driving :)I hope you guys know how lucky you are.

FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE [:'(]

Here is Clarkson at his.. "Best"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O_8aT-HTE

Here is his review of the Z06, and what he thinks of America.. Oh he hates you guys! (your corvette is cheap because its made from melted down action men)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtOtL88Mak

LeesVette 07-27-2007 12:46 PM

I have two people I know on other Vette sites that live in Oz and their Vette's were outrageously price (so I thought) especially for the right hand conversion. Anywhere from $25,000 andup to have one converted.

red90vettesc 07-27-2007 02:26 PM

OK, just watched the Z06 bashing and the man compared the car to Herpes. I truly think man should be banished from the United States forever!!!! LOL.

blade83 07-27-2007 08:39 PM

Yeah Vettes here are Crazy priced, the conversion price certainly doesn't help, But there are obviously stupidly high Government taxes or importers making crazy profits and extorting people.. If I do the math..You take the price given here for a Z06 of $76,000 (USD) which is about $80,000 AUD, then addanother $25k for a conversion, that makes $105k (AUD) yet the price at a dealer for a Z06 is.. well .. here is an advert for a near new Z06, $220,000... So where has the extra $115,000 come from? And more importantly, who's back pocket is it lining [:@]

http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-demo/CHEVROLET/CORVETTE/details.aspx?Model=CORVETTE&__Nne=20&__N=4 294966907+0+4294960863++834+287&Make=CHEVROLET &RegionID=&State=All%20States&silo=100 1&state_id=0&distance=25&Cr=0&seot =0&__sid=1137B5AFE18F&R=1431947&__Ns=p Car_DemoStatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&a mp;Region=All%20Regions&trecs=1

Lol As for Herpes, thats high praise from Clarkson, there is supposed to be a US version of Top gear, but its halted production at the moment because he refuses to live in the US [8D]

84corvetteC4 08-07-2007 12:16 PM

well....jeremy clarkston is an asshole!!!!!! and lets here it for the BEST POUND FOR DOLLAR FOR PERFORMANCE IN THE WORLD

LADIES AND GENTS THE:DCORVETTE!!!!!:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9TBLKC4 08-09-2007 12:14 AM

All I can say to that JERKWAD Clarkston is "KISS MY AMERICAN A##!!"

Where is he from? I didn't see anyone holding a gun to his head and forcing him to drive anAmerican car & as far as not liking it in the US of A, that's easy...Keep the F##K Out!!

What cars are produced in his country? and which one is is it that is better than a vette?

84 corvetteC4, you hit it right on the head (or hole) Right ON!!

blade83 08-09-2007 02:47 AM

Not that I agree with clarkson at all... but.. for cars produced in the UK?

Ultima GTR
Jaguar Xj220
TVR's

Im sure there are other notible ones but I cant remember [8D]you would almost call the TVR's or Ultimas the british "corvette" as they are affordable for them.. from this post as I realised above, the vette was made purely with Amercans in mind, taste, culture, feel, everything.. thats why you guys "get" the car, and identify with it so much.. its just part of your raised culture and just like anything else that falls into that category. you will defend it to the bitter end :)

I dont think there is any other country as patriotic, when it comes to England, they are happy to sell out their cars the second something better comes along, well we dont really make sports cars so I wont comment on us [8D]

Personally I think owning a piece of American history is an awesome concept and feeling, from a country that invented the Hot-rod, the Vette is everything they are supposed to be, the things that Jeremy doesnt like about the car, are some of the same things that are attracting me :DIve started hanging my arm out the window in my current daily (sh1t mobile) because it is easy and boring, I want excitement and a challenge, thats the Vette for me :D:)

blade83 08-15-2007 11:32 AM

I found this post on another Vette forum, and it hits the nail on the head perfectly as to my original question..

"
here's the deal, there really are no pro's other than coilover-type springs can be adjustable and their fit is more or less universal as opposed to leaf springs which only fit one car, so overall you'll have an easier time finding coilovers to fit your exact needs. As far as I know that's where the pro's end, and you will end up handling considerably worse.

GM is no dummy, they did not put "midieval ox-cart technology" into their sportscar to save money, in fact it was surely a more expensive choice. The benefits of them doing this was leaf springs create a lower center of gravity, they react a little better because one side influences the other, they're more lightweight overall and save unsprung weight, more durable, and they don't get in the way of your shocks. They have adjustable ride height, they double as an anti-roll bar, again saving unsprung weight. Just buy different leaf springs...switching to coilovers would be a serious downgrade, only do it if you need infinite spring rate adjustability.
"[/align]

Lee Willis 08-15-2007 06:09 PM

I've been an engineer all my life, and appreciate good engineering. It is easy to get good performance when you use expensive machinery - double wishbone suspensions, direct-injected, five valve, double over head cam engines, widespread use of high tech materials like lithium doped aluminum, etc. It really doesn't take good engineers to make a great performing car that way, just wealthy customers: look at the Audi R8 - a great car, but then at $115K drive out, it should be.

It takes incredible engineering to provide even better performance with more basic, low cost types of designs and materials. Pushrods, mono-leaf transverse spring suspensions, etc.: it may be "stone age" but when brilliantly engineering it works, its low cost, and its low cost to maintain. GM has the best engine and chassis engineering in the world. They design everything to a tight budget (which is why a 'vette is such a bargain) and in that regard they are the best in the world.

People who look down on the Corvette are basically snobs: they insist on the pedigree designs without really understanding when and why they are needed, and they put design elements ahead of performance. I also think the snobs simply like more expensive cars.

In the end it is all about performance, and the 'vette has more for less money and anything else: that is good engineering.

I recently had the extreme pleasure of absolutely killing a modifed Porsche Turbo at the track: one of those snobs who brought his car to the track all cocky and confident, and arrogant.My poor old pushrod, transverse spring 'vetteput fifteen lengths on him in the quarter mile, with a trap speed fully17 mph higher. And I took home $5K of his money, too.

So, why do I drive an $87,000Porsche? GM may engineer great cars, but they put a really cheap interior in the 'vette -- mostly that.(I plan to look hard at the new 4LT option in the '08 vette -- might cure to only objection I have to it on a daily basis)