Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Possibly a newbie question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Default Possibly a newbie question..

Hey all

Recently been watching shows like 5th gear amongst others, and they have a rather large dislike for the Corvette, Their main complaint is always the same though, the fact they use very dated suspension set-ups, my question which might be hard to answer is.. Why?

Surely Cheverolet have the technology to develop something more sophisticated,The Z brought independant multi link front and rear suspension in 1989, 5th gear always quote how the brittish gave up on leaf springs when the romans invaded, and I can remember one test drive where they put a pebble on the ground, ran over it, then proceded to complain of back pain... I dont claim to be a mechanic or have any engineering knowledge what so ever, so since American cars get such a hard time about not being able to turn corners, Why has chevy persisted with the set-up, What is its actual advantage?

Ive been scratching my noodle for days trying to come up with excuses and its annoying me [:@]I thought I'd ask real people in the know perhaps Im strange, but I want a car that is loud, obnoxious, uncomfortable and a battle to drive, my last Vette fit that bill Perfectly, 5 mins in the car felt like 5 rounds with mike tyson, and I wouldnt have it any other way my current car is a typical aussie comfort machine, and is about as exciting as watching paint dry.. can't wait to get back in my Vette

Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Default RE: Possibly a newbie question..

The C6 Z06 elevated Chevy to a whole new class. Jeremy Clarkson is a tool anyway.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 AM

I really don't want my Corvette to run/sound/ride like a Cadillac.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 AM

Heheh well all valid points .. cept ive never seen a cadillac before..No doubt the Z06 is a massive leap forward in nearly every way.. but it still uses a Live axle, which by any suspension standard is as dated as it comes..

so Im still looking for something to help me with my noodle scratcher.. I just want one excuse why chevy with all its Experience, and money, still uses things like live axles, others have asked me why I want a vette, and questioned their suspension, I just want something educated to tell them back rather than.. I Dunno?! Anything?Are theylazy? Aretheytoo tight to put $1 into R&D to see what other cars have? Perhaps they are trying to perfect a system different to anything else, like mazda with the wankel, this one I'd love to believe.

Nothing will make me stop loving the corvette, I just need to answer this one question [8D]

Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Price.If you want to spend 911 turbo money for a vette then you'd have new technology.Thats why the new shelby mustang has a solid axle,ford didn't think their buyers would pay 5 grand extra for independent.On the other hand,the "antiquated" Vettes seem to hold their own which seem to irk know it alls like clarkson.Give me 500 horse daily driveable over a drive and repair sewing machine motor anyday.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM

How can you argue with GM's take on handling performance when the base C6 will pull a .98 G slalom and arguably one of the best handling cars in the world, the Lamborghini Murcielago, pulls just over a G for several times the money.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:33 PM

I don't know where you are getting your information from that the Z06 or any Corvette for that matter has a "Live Rear Axle". My 1990 C4 has a completely Aluminum 5 Link rear independant suspension and handles well enought to scare the hell out of most passengers that ride it, not to mention has a very decent ride. The car is going on 18 yrs old and everyone that rides is in dis-belief that the car is old as it is. The last Aussie Machine that was brought to the States was the Pontiac GTO, (AKA Holden Monaro) and it was a major flop with its soft suspension and dated looks. The Corvette may very well be a bit rough around the edges but pick up this monthes Car and Driver. If I was Porshe I would be ashamed that my 911 GT3 which listed for $165000 what completely humbled by a $76000 Z06 at Virginia's International Raceway. As with any Corvette, there simply is not a better bang for the buck in the world.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: red90vettesc

I don't know where you are getting your information from that the Z06 or any Corvette for that matter has a "Live Rear Axle". My 1990 C4 has a completely Aluminum 5 Link rear independant suspension and handles well enought to scare the hell out of most passengers that ride it, not to mention has a very decent ride. The car is going on 18 yrs old and everyone that rides is in dis-belief that the car is old as it is. The last Aussie Machine that was brought to the States was the Pontiac GTO, (AKA Holden Monaro) and it was a major flop with its soft suspension and dated looks. The Corvette may very well be a bit rough around the edges but pick up this monthes Car and Driver. If I was Porshe I would be ashamed that my 911 GT3 which listed for $165000 what completely humbled by a $76000 Z06 at Virginia's International Raceway. As with any Corvette, there simply is not a better bang for the buck in the world.
Nail head meet hammer. Summed it up perfectly. And I will add to reiterate what you said.People complain (and I am not saying the OP was complaining) that the Corvette is expensive but look what you get. A car with world class performance at a price that is unbelievable compared to cars with the same performance level. The Z06 is just incredible when you look at the class of car that it takes to meet its performance. You won't find Ferrari's, Lamborghini's or any other exotics that are as cheap as the Corvette C6Z06. Even when the Blue Devil/SS comes ouyt (if it ever does) with a price tag of approximately 100K, that is still a bargain for what is projected to be the ultimate in North American muscle. Whats a comparable car's price for that level of performance $175K? $200K? More?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 AM

Ahh now this is good stuff, I can understand where you guys are coming from, Chevy wants to keep the price down for you which is really cool, but the rest of the world sees it as them being stuck in the stone ages, Because from what you say, about needing to pay $200k+ for a comparable car, but here a Z06 is actually more expensive than some ferrari's or porsches, The Ticket price on a Z06 here is over $250,000.. Over here the car of choice is the Nissan GTR, they are EVERYWHERE! the 300kph supercar, Attessa 4wd, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel independant multi-link front and rear, stock 1/4 mile time of 12.9.. anda total costof about $12,000 USD(yes I had one) But you never ever see a Vette, they are as rare as it gets here, and with the price of them you can see why..

I think I understand.. Made in America, For America and you just have to live there to understand

Oh and yes the Holden Monaro is a piece of junk, They are bloody everywhere here, but its because the holden is Australias hero car.. certainly not mine. [:'(]

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM

I still don't get where you think the Vette is in the stone ages. There is nothing but well honed high tech about the current C6. It is more car than 95% of the population will ever be able to extrapolate all of it abilities. Hell, a basic C6 has 400HP, a 6 Spd Maunual or Auto, and trust me has no problem hitting triple digits speeds, there are two of these cars in my family. As for a Nissan Skyline, they may be a great car in Australia, but I just sold my 06Nissan Xterra because it spent as much time in the pathetic dealer as it did in my driveway. I believe you may be in the wrong forum if you want to keep saying that Corvettes are in the stone ages, theCorvette owners here are a little more proud than that!

Quick Reply: Possibly a newbie question..