Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Preoccupation with cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default Preoccupation with cell phones

Hi all, had a bad day yesterday. spent 8 hours at my tax attorny's office setting up a new corparation and fighting with the IRS about some bogus tax bills from 13 years ago and trying to convince a client to pay me the money he owes me. After this long day stuck in Nashville I left her office at 9:45pm and headed home. Everything was done and it was a beautiful night with a full moon. I was about 3 miles from home setting at a red light when the light turns green and immediately I am struck from behind and the intire left rear quarter of my previously beautiful '87 'Vette is demolished. lucky enough no one is hurt....Here's the kicker......When ask what happend the other driver told the officer he was on the phone and not paying attention, looking out the window........ Come on people lets get real here if you need to talk on the phone ...pull over. If the State trooper had not shown up when he did they would have needed the ambulance.

I think from now on I'll shoot first then ask questions.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Preoccupation with cell phones

dam geroge im sorry to here that[] that realy sucks. hop you get it fixed soon, got any pic's of the damage.[8D]

Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thank for the conceren, Dicky. It really pi$$ed me off when he said he wasn't paying attention. I'll get some tomorrow and try to post them. I took some last night with my phone (of all things) for the insurance, but couldn't get them transfered to the laptop. don't they have to be a certain size?

Old 09-08-2006, 12:50 PM

i think so. i know some times i cant down load my pic's they are to big. do you have microsoft word you can shrink them down .

Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Bummer about your car being damaged but at least you were not injured. It is amazing how people can drive around and completely forget what their responsibilities are. Perhaps it is due to the fact the modern vehicle is so comfortable and little effort is required to drive it as compared to the cars of years ago. As a motorcyclist I hear about these types of accidents all too often. Unfortunately for us, what causes a little body damage to a car will send us to the hospital or morgue. It really irritates me that a driver can say "I didn't see him" and that is supposed to make everything OK. Get this, in Tennessee, if you shoot a duck out of season it is a $500 fine, they take your gun and vehicle. Kill a motorcyclist and you may get a $50 failure to yield ticket. Something has to change here.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Blueshark - Sorry about the accident! I feel the same about these idiots and their cell phones and such. Here in Maryland it is really horrible the way folks pay no attention to driving at all! I am a firm believer in all states banning cell phones while driving. These drivers need to 'HANG UP AND DRIVE". If I did not think I would get shot (you never know these days) I would get some flash cards!!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:59 PM

OH MY GOD!! My heart is totally sunk for you, my friend. Oh boy, I'd be flamin' mad too. I sincerely hope that the damage is fixable to your satisfaction for you.

I completely agree about the whole cell phone thing. Most people aren't clever enough to tie their own shoes in the morning, let alone pilot a 2 ton automobile while chattin' on the phone. [:@]

I am so sorry for what happened to you. Best wishes.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the well wishes. I don't think there is any serious damage but won't know for sure til I pull the quarter off. one good thing is now I have to buy paint so I can paint and install the greenwood wing I bought. it just sucks haveing to do it for that reason. talk about road rage. back in the pld days you would "juss buss a 9 in his a$$" and go home. Now it's "let my people call your people" and everyone gets screwed but the insurance company. I'll stop here ....I feel a rant comeing on.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident...as far as talking on the phone while driving goes one good thing is that most new cars are starting to intergrade bluetooth into the radio. So I would imagine in the coming years it will start to be standard on all cars and people will be able to talk hands free and hopefully pay more attention to the road. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 93C44FUN

..... Get this, in Tennessee, if you shoot a duck out of season it is a $500 fine, they take your gun and vehicle. Kill a motorcyclist and you may get a $50 failure to yield ticket. Something has to change here.

Another thing here in Tennessee is tailgateing. I've driven all over this great country of our and have never seen tailgateing as bad as here. from 40mph to 140mph they stay right on your butt if they can. even the local cops, WTF?

As far as hands free, I still think you should pull over. If someone is argueing with the kids or the spouse they are not paying attention to the road. just seams safer to pull over to me.

Quick Reply: Preoccupation with cell phones