Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Production wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM
cwb
Default Production wheels???

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t..._Show_1990.jpg

Is this painted wheel a factory option? This thing looks tough like the black-wheeled '96 GS edition...

And how 'bout dem cold air intakes 'down under'!!!

And check out that hood there (what kinda' twister's hidin' under there)- see anything strange about that hood???

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Default RE: Production wheels???

The wheels appear to be the 89-90 style which have been painted black. The odd thing about the hood is there is only one bulge rather than two. Some body work, perhaps? The scoops on the bottom front are reminiscent of the hood scoops on mid-70's Formula Firebirds. I've seen pictures of vettes with the added vents in the upper front fenders but can't remember where or what. (Callaway or Lingenfelter, perhaps?) Haven't seen the lower vents before, though. The rear middle brake light mounted on the the roof would point to a stock ZR-1and the side louvers would indicate a 91-94. The badge on the fender, although very fuzzy, looks like a 93 40th ZR-1. My guess is that it's a 93 ZR-1 with body work. Who knows about the engine.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 PM

But on the other hand, the front end does not have the wrap around directional/parking light arrangement like the 91-94. Who knows what the thing is.I just noticed the link says 90 ZR-1. I guess a person can do a lot of things with fiberglass and a little know how (or money and hire someone who does).

Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 AM

I've got a black '90 coupe. Those appear to be the factory wheels (I love 'em) that have had the
black paint applied to them. (don't like that). Little addition to the side front quarter panel and
maybe some ground effects?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 AM

I just delved into his photobucket account and it appears he may have more than one ZR-1. It appear he has a blue one also. Check out this car he has in one of his subaccounts.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ner_EX5664.jpg

Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM
cwb

I think you got 'em all!

The Firebird Formula-style ram air intake ducts (below, not above), missing groove on the hood, '88-'90 style wheels (except for the rears - they're the '90 ZR1 17 x 11 all other '88-'90 were 17 x 9.5 f +r).

I missed the extra ducting below the front clearance lights.

Oval taillights, or round??? Just can't tell by the rear quarter panel...........

And the link there lees; red machine has the same single-ridge hood, AND the center trim strip isn't color-correct. The wheels gotta' go too. I'll have the black one, please

Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM

The wheels on the red on look a lot, if not just, like the wheels on the 79 Trans Am I bought new (long ago, in a decade far , far away It was a 400 4 speed, one of the last ones produced. Wish I still had it. For the rest of the story, just ask.I'll be more than happy to tell you.) Italso looks like, at least in the picture, that the side louvers are not even there. Maybe it's just me, but why in the hell do you go and butcher (well,maybe not that bad) but do something like that?

Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Now that I think about it, the wheels also look a lot like the mid 90's Pontiac Grand Prix wheels, too. Probably more so than not as the TransAm onlt had 15" wheels.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:14 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: beauchampgl

The wheels on the red on look a lot, if not just, like the wheels on the 79 Trans Am I bought new (long ago, in a decade far , far away It was a 400 4 speed, one of the last ones produced. Wish I still had it. For the rest of the story, just ask.I'll be more than happy to tell you.) Italso looks like, at least in the picture, that the side louvers are not even there. Maybe it's just me, but why in the hell do you go and butcher (well,maybe not that bad) but do something like that?
I agree about butchery of vette fiberglass (including Greenwood stuff (hope none are offended)). But the black stuff on this one just is less obtrusive/obnoxious. I didn't even see at first the venting under the clearance lights.

I vote 'yea' on the black one.

'Nay', on the honeycomb gold rims on red.[sm=grin.gif] '88 35th anniversary white rims would do more for that one.

Looks like I was wrong on the blacked-out rear rims - they were available only as 17 x 9.5; even '90 zr1.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Hey guys.That red Vette is that one with a V12 under the hood.Look closely at how much longer the car is in the front.That black one could be a '90 ZR-1 with the wheels painted black.The 1990 wheel has the lug nuts exposed,unlike the '88 and '89.The body work on it sure looks different.Those things on the bottom front could be brake cooling ducts,I think.

Quick Reply: Production wheels???