Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Pulling the 4+3 Tranny question

Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Default Pulling the 4+3 Tranny question

What is the best way to remove the drive shaft and longitudinal torsion bar. Those 4 long bolts have nuts on the backside of the torsion bar.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Default RE: Pulling the 4+3 Tranny question

I found this.....I think I answered my question. Check this out...someone is mfg a C4 torsion Beam plates:

www.zfdoc.com/c4beamplate.htm

List is $189.00 Sure would have been nice if GM would have though about this.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

If you can support your transmission, you can take the 2 bolts out of the differential and bolts out of transmission, slide (HA) the I beam back and pull the front down, remove it out toward the fron of the car. That's how I did my automatic.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

If you can support your transmission, you can take the 2 bolts out of the differential and bolts out of transmission, slide (HA) the I beam back and pull the front down, remove it out toward the fron of the car. That's how I did my automatic.

It is diffcult getting to the 4 nuts on the top of the torsion beam. www.zfdoc.com/c4beamplate.htm has these. Makes removing the boalts a breeze. I might have to look into these.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM

The tranny is out. It was impossible to remove the Torsion bar before removing the tranny, but removing the 4 bolts and sliding the torsion bar to one side allowed me to remove the drive shaft. Then I was able to lower the tranny with the Torsion bar still in place around the rear end (Bolts removed and pushed to the side.)

The tranny is Numbers matching. The VIN is stamped on the case near the middle shift rod connection on the drivers side.

I Bought a spare tranny from a Junkyard and will put it in next.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3893/F7202A627DEF4EE29E709AA1921254A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 PM

Man that does not look fun without a hoist. Buy the way how do you check the oil level in the overdrive unit . I have done everything else but that ,since I got my 86 vert.
Cheers

Old 12-02-2006, 01:12 AM

There are two ways to fill the overdrive portion of the tranny and one way to fill the 4spd manual portion of the tranny.

To fill the 4spd portion of the tranny, locate the two screw style square headed plugs. The top one is the fill the bottom one is the drain. Fill the top until it starts to overfill (level with the top plug).

To fill the overdrive portion look for the square headed screw (on the od portion of the tranny), remove it and top it off so its level with the plug. The second way was done during assembly. there is a plastic hose (black) that is routed to the drivers side of the fire wall. The factory filled the overdrive tranny through this hose (using a measured amount), then put a vent cap at the end of the hose.

Remember to use ATP tranny fluid in the overdrive, and SAE 90 gear oil in the 4 spd portion.

If you have leaks...chances are your OD is dry. Check the manual transmission fluid today before you cause $2800 in damage[:@]

(Nothing like old school removal and replacement of a transmission...... A lift would have made this job too easy)

Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM

I got the replacement tranny back in the car last sunday. Everything went great until I tried to reinstall the torsion bar (c-beam) to the rear differential.

The bolts lined up great for the tranny, but not having much luck geting the top hole in the c-beam aligned to the rearend (missing it by 1/4 inch). I'm going to try lifting the differential with a jack to see if it will tilt it enough to align the bolt holes.

I dis-assembled enough of the original tranny to find first gear had a broken tooth on each associated gear (cluster/main). The original tranny I removed was a numbers matching tranny (Vin # in stamped into the tranny next to cover).

Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM

ouch, how'd that happen? you like to gorilla the shifter :P

cause i do haha

Old 12-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Bought it that way. The guy I bought it from replaced the clutch with a kelvor clutch, and soon there after 1st gear went. I bought a tranny out of a corvette salavge yard. Kinda hard to sell a car without 1st gear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling the 4+3 Tranny question