Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Default Radio problems

I'm having a problem with my stock Bose radio in my 94 coupe. The problem is that once in a while I turn the radio on and no sound comes out. All the lights on the radio and the antenna work as they should. To get the radio to work I have to cut the radio on and off a number of times. I was wondering if this was a radio problem or in the compartment behind the seat

Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM
cwb
Default RE: Radio problems

Next time ya' get no tunes over the air, put in a disc, and see whatcha' get.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM

The Bose system in the C4's never quite worked right from what I've been told. Full of bugs, all show and no go

Do not know if this would apply to yours though...

I just prefer the aftermarket systems

cwb is right about the cd thing. At least you could narrow the problem down some.

Good luck[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-14-2007, 01:28 PM

No sound whenItry disc either !

Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 AM

I serviced consumer electronics for over 30 yrs, and I was never a fan of the Bose electronic products, althought they make pretty good speakers, the electronics side was never that good.

I took the Bose system out of my c4 and installed a Sony system

you can't use the existing Bose speakers either, they have piggy back amps built on them. Better off installing after market speakers too

Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Alans 94 vette

No sound whenItry disc either !
Okay... so we know a little more... Same characteristics motor on and motor off?

I don't suppose there's a headphone jack?

Of course not. But, let's see...

...the display lights are on the same circuit as the instruments, separate from radio's tuner/amp power. And, the antennae is a function of the tuner/amp power switch...

You need to find out if the antennae is in SERIES (common ground) with the tuner/amp, or if it is in parallel (separate ground)with the tuner amp. Right oldtvdude?

Your wiring diagram will tell you this. AND, if the tuner/amp is in series with the antennae, the unit might be toast (because the ground is good). If in parallel, the tuner/amp could just have a bad ground.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

I am also having problems withthe bose radio in '87 vert.

Cassette works fine. Radio just intermittent (its fails more than it works though...) just static when it is not working. Previous owner installed a CD player which works fine but requires the radio to receive the FM transmission from the CD player. Result: only cassette is reliable.

Does the head unit also serve as the reciver or is there a separate radio receiver in this car? I've seen some reference to a remote receiver in the C4's.

If I replace the head and speakers, do I also need to rewire all speakers?

Does that gizmo which is supposed to convert a standard head unit to work with the bose speakers really work?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM

I recently changed the head unit in my car with a new Panasonic. I had a Scosh adapter and after a bit of tuning on it, the bose system i must say sounds great. Matter a fact, unbelievable for18 yr old speakers. I did go through hell getting it to work right because the relay for the Bose amps has to have enough juice to kick on and I finally wired the amps to come on with the car. It has worked perfect since then. Best of luck, but the Bose system in these cars are a real pain in the butt, not only to understand how it works, but also to work on.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM

I'm having a number of problems with my bose gold cd/stereo.
1-Volume **** on the head unit is touchy ( just has to be bumped, and large volume increase occurs.
2-Only theAM radio, andCD works. FM does not produce any signal at all.
3-Only getting soundfrom the passenger front and rear speakers, while no sound comes from the driver's side front or rear.
I've heard that no sound out of one or two speakers is almost always a result of a bad amp, unles you can see that the speaker is torn or ripped. It seems like the bose gold series stereos, amps, and componentsare designed with a self destructing timer that will probably require a change every once in a while.

Michael.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Rather than hijacking a couple of threads, you will get more views if you start a new thread with your problem. 🙂

Quick Reply: Radio problems