Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

REALLY dumb question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Default REALLY dumb question???

I have an 89 coup. Replace items when broken or minor upgrades (Corsa exhaust). Just finished replacing the front Amps in the Bose speakers. Only job left is the bushings in the headlights then the car is functioning as it left the show room.

Anyone else have a fully functioning C-4?? Reading this and other forums and it scares me.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Default RE: REALLY dumb question???

ORIGINAL: seen_alot

I have an 89 coup. Replace items when broken or minor upgrades (Corsa exhaust). Just finished replacing the front Amps in the Bose speakers. Only job left is the bushings in the headlights then the car is functioning as it left the show room.

Anyone else have a fully functioning C-4?? Reading this and other forums and it scares me.

Everything works fine on mine..knock wood! (95)

Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Even us C3's have non-functioning items, mine is the A/C system. Electrical/electronics and automobiles really don't go together very well although the engineers continue to try to stuff as much delicate, sensitive equipment in as they can. The things that are hardest on electric items are the same as the rest of the vehicle, heat, moisture, dirt, vibration. As in everything else, wherever cost can be trimmed to meet the bottom line and maybe make it through the warranty period-the engineers have done their job.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

Even us C3's have non-functioning items, mine is the A/C system. Electrical/electronics and automobiles really don't go together very well although the engineers continue to try to stuff as much delicate, sensitive equipment in as they can. The things that are hardest on electric items are the same as the rest of the vehicle, heat, moisture, dirt, vibration. As in everything else, wherever cost can be trimmed to meet the bottom line and maybe make it through the warranty period-the engineers have done their job.
Gee, I thought u drove a C4. Never thought about the 78 in your name. Dumb me.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Viscount, that's how I felt posting the question. Post it and I'll have a summer of pain.

78buckshot, agree that electrical problems occur. Just reading this forum and others you see the long list of non-functioning items people have on their
C-4s. I also see mods that just start the owner down the slippery slope of problems. My year has the funky Atari dashboard which I haven't had a problem with. Had the problem with the multitech injectors. Have replaced the waterpump and alternator when need. Did have the radiator replaced last year for a 1,100 mile trip which wasn't necessary, just its 18 yera old. Also upgraded to a Corsa exhaust after the trip but before the rise in stainless steel prices, wish I had done that before the trip, actual wish I did it 8 years ago. I'm just amazed at the self inflected problems many owners do.

I agree with you about the cheapest parts to get it thru the warranty. After replacing the Bose amps I was amazed how cheap and poorly designed the interior door panels are! The speaker enclosures and guts for the door are impressive but the plastic panel?? And now $500 to replace one completely? I can see why some things are left unfinished in a repair.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Mine has 106K on the clock and as of right now everything works! I think the maintenance they receive as they were "growing up"sos to speak, has a lot to do with how they work now. If they were neglected and had issues just ignored or put off earlier then they have more issues now. I could be wrong, but to me regular and preventive mainatenance is the key.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM

I have always wanted a vette and traded my 69 Dodge Charger for a 1994 vette. I did this over 2 years ago and have been kicking myself every since. I have only been able to put around 1000 miles on it since I bought it. If it can go wrong, it did and is. My first problem I broke a rocker, so I updated them to roller rockers. Next the optispark went out, then a headlight motor and module. Now I am getting ready to change out the PCM. Thats just a few things that has gone wrong. I am very disappointed in my vette. I will not take it far from home, I have towed it twice already. It would be nice to have a good one. Before long every electrical part on this car will be new. Maybe then I'll be happy with it.

-Steve

Old 05-04-2008, 04:23 AM

In response to Ozone Trash, I feel bad for the problems you are having with your Vette. I guess many of us have purchased Vettes that are realtively trouble-free. Mine is an 87 Lingenfelter convertible, white over blue, and it has been a gem since I bought it in 1992. Of course, there are maintenance and replacement issues over the years. I'm in my 70th year and I enjoy my Vette immensely. I sincerely hope you solve all these issues and thoroughly enjoy your Vette. Regards

MyPetu39

Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: seen_alot

TOTAL functioning? Wow - that's rare.

I got an antennae problem - last 4 inches holdin' out on me for retraction, dog-eared sunvisors, one side of drivers seat doesn't elevate properly. 'Sides that, it's pretty tight, and I'll drive it across country tomorrow. I know as I knock out each one, another'll popup. Don't bother me tho', if everything's goin' your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:36 AM

Not too many 12 + year old cars around that don't have issues of one kind or another.
The Bose system in my Red 95 will soon need attention and I'm debating fixing it or replacing the system. It's a pain and pricey either way you go.
The aftermarket radio system in my Hot Rod White 95 doesn't raise the mast but Beach Boys CD's work fine in the CD when radio stations don't come in.
The way to look at it is something you love needs a little TLC and it will reward you with a good time!
A well maintained car [ Corvettes Included ] will give you many hours of trouble free fun but as you noted on these forums you see many problems with cars but you also see many posts with help and advice.

Quick Reply: REALLY dumb question???