Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Default Rear end noise

I drive my 89 as much as I can and I started to notice that a low pitch noise,kind of a rumble,was coming from the passenger side rear end. I hear it the hole time the Vette is in motion. I thought it might be the brake pads worn down,but they are new and every thing seems to be tight. A lot of moving parts down there. Any body have any idea what I mite look for?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Default RE: Rear end noise

Hi grestmit, you could have a rear wheel bearing assembly going out. You can raise the rear wheels off the ground and see if there is any side ways movement. Have you checked the differential oil level?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: grestmit

I drive my 89 as much as I can and I started to notice that a low pitch noise,kind of a rumble,was coming from the passenger side rear end. I hear it the hole time the Vette is in motion. I thought it might be the brake pads worn down,but they are new and every thing seems to be tight. A lot of moving parts down there. Any body have any idea what I mite look for?
Does it change with vehicle speed?

Does it change when the brakes are applied?

Does it change when de-cellerating, without brakes?

Turning?

Reverse?

Coasting in neutral?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM

It makes a constant low rumble noise at all speeds and at braking.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 PM

I have not checked diff.fluid level yet,but will do so. I need to do a lube job any way.Time to upgrade shocks as well.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: grestmit

It makes a constant low rumble noise at all speeds and at braking.
That is a BIG clue right there - constant . Are you sure - constant?

Go to a big parking lot, and try to get the same tune in reverse. AND, once you get good speed in reverse, drop to neutral, to quiet the ancillary/tranny noise.

Unless, you can already tell you got the same sound in reverse.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bearing assembly/hub. If it is, get ready to spend some money, about 200.00 bucks a side just for the part and takes about 2 hours a side to change.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:25 PM

That's what I'm thinking. But the hub assembly that I have found so far is a bit more than the $200. That is if I Want to keep the ABS, more like $280. If that is the problem,I might as well upgrade a few other parts in the rear end. I'm wanting to change the gears out but not sure what set to get. I have 2.59 rear gears now. Thought about 3.07. What do you think?[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 PM

I know it's not coming from the trans area. It does not make noise sitting at a light,but it doesmake noise going backwards

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Hi grestmit, anything lower than what you have now is going to affect your fuel mileage, but if thats not an issue, go for it. For a real kick in the pants, I personally like the 3.73 as long as the car has an overdrive, 3.42 is a good one too, the only difference I could see between the two is the 3.42 has one more tooth on the pinion gear than the 3.73. If you do decide to go with the 3.07, you'll still be pleased with the way she gets up and moves. Either way, make sure whoever sets it up knows what they are doing, any more or less than .008 of an inch clearance of backlash between the teeth, can cause the rear end to roar, or, you'll hear the gears clash when youdrop it in gear.

Quick Reply: Rear end noise