Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

rear sways

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Default rear sways

When im driving the rearend feels like its swaying. Its not bad at 65 but at lower speed you can feel it and at about 80 its bad enough to scare you. Any ideas what this might be.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Default RE: rear sways

Mind you, this is just a pure guess, but I would check the rear tires. One of them may have a broken radial belt which would cause the tire to lose its rolling stability, more so the faster you go. I wouldn't think alignment would cause a sway, but probably would cause the car to pull to one side or the other and cause eneven wear. And take a look at the rear spring for breaks, cracks, and loose mounting bolts. Good Luck.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM

It does need rear tires. When i bought it they had just put new ones on the front. I was hopeing the the rear ones would last till winter when im not driving it. The car was also just inspected acouple days before i picked the car up and if something was broke or loose they should have cought it. But then again maybe the figured once its out of here no longer my problem.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

If it's as bad as you described, I would take it somewhere and put it on a lift and check all of the rear suspension bushings, especially the sway bar bushings, could have one that dry rotted andfell out, or they all could be worn out period. It's hard to tell just by looking at them, take a pry bar and see if you find any loose play.