Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Right Headlamp Problems on my 85

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Default Right Headlamp Problems on my 85

Hi, I'm new to the forums so ill throw some background into my question. I'm 17 years old, just graduated from High School and since I was 6 years old I have been saving up my extra money to buy a 85 Corvette, now I have one. My father has a 89 Corvette and we like to ride around together and what not but he doesnt know what to do about my problem so I have come here. I got my car about a year or so ago and now im have problems with the right headlamp motor. When I go to turn off my headlights and close the lights the doors with close and the left motor turns off as well as the lights, but the right motor makes a grinding sound as if it is not turning off or having the power to it turned off. It only does this in the off postion on the right side motor.

I have replaced the headlamp motor its self and it has not fixed the problem. I also replaced both the Isolation Relay (what the electrical schems call it in my shop manual) and I have also replaced the Right Side Actuator Relay. I dont know what else to do other then possibley the switch (except i havent a clue where it is...)? I was hoping that someone knows what the problem is and know how to fix it.
Thank you. - Rapt0r0

Old 06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
cwb
Default RE: Right Headlamp Problems on my 85

All that's left is the drive gears to replace.

Get plastic gears. They put less load on the tiny headlamp motor than the bronze gears do (so says a tech review in Corvette Fever mag).

Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM

So the bronze gears are whats causing this problem? I still dont quite understand whats wrong with the headlamp motor or with the system... Could you go into more depth about it?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM

What he means is that the gears are stripped in the headlight cover assembly, causing them to slip. I think the motor won't shut off because the switch doesn't get tripped and the motor thinks the cover is still up. Replace the gears. I have no opinion whether you should use brass or plastic.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Most people I know have replaced there gears with the bronze ones. I know what Corvette Fever printed but I would go with the bronze gears. Know one I know have had to replace any other parts on their light assemblies since replacing with bronze gears and some have used the bronze gears for years now.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 AM

ooo ok. so how much do this gears cost and where abouts can i get them? also would these gears have a name?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

This might be what you're looking for, on the bottom of the page of the link. Plastic gears are on the next page.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....A0~~~~~A20~A11
Looks like plastic is$39.95 per set, and bronze is $89.95 per set. You might find them cheaper elsewhere.....this is as far as I looked. I would personally recomend getting both even if only one is striped, there may be damage you can't see.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Ok thank you guys. I will try this and hopefully it will fix my problem. Because its real hard to impress the ladies opening the hood and plugging in the motor to bring it up.[8D] So thanks again. - Rapt0r0

Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Raptoro? Hmm.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

Raptoro? Hmm.
[sm=interesting.gif]

Quick Reply: Right Headlamp Problems on my 85