Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Default rip off?

Hey guys, getting ready to go get the rear seal in my transmission replaced. Trying to work out who will do the work though. There is a place near my house called Corvettes Only. As the name implies, they specialize in vettes but they also charge 90 bucks an hour. On the other hand, I could use the place that I take my Bronco to. Is this something that a corvette shop should perform or can I use my ASE certified shop that works on a little bit of everything? I realize that this 700r4 tranny is in a lot of cars so I'm inclined to take it to the cheaper place but just wanted some opinions. Thanks for the input. Could be that the answer is fairly obvious but I am new to Denver and don't have regular shops that I use yet.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Default RE: rip off?

Sorry but it usually goes, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you luck up and it doesn't go that way. That transmission is naturally weak though. It's on another forum with that information though. Mine did die but it lost fluid so that explains that.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM

The transmission was rebuilt with all new parts about 6000 miles ago. I posted before that something was leaking back where the exhaust splits into two pipes and that is right where the u joints and yoke for the driveshaft are. Mech259 said it could either be that seal or something with the tach drive. The tranny seems very strong. It's just that leak.[:@]

Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Ric

Hi Clayton
In my opinion (you asked) if the place you take your Bronco has certified mechanics the rear seal or tack drive should be a easy fix for them. As for a Corvette shop at 90.00 per hour I think the services are a fair price Win you get to special things that are needed like electrical trouble shooting ,dash work, rear end work and such. I believe there is a place for both business. IMHO I would talk to the place you take your Bronko to and talk to them I think it is straight forward work.
Ric W.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 PM

I did the seal and bushing on my '90 Astro Van about 7 years ago. Think it's the same trans. Just had to remove the driveshaft,remove the four bolts that hold the tailshaft adapter to the case, and pull it off. There is a bushing in it behind the seal. Mine leaked and the bushing was worn out. I didn't have a press to push the old one out and the new one in, so I took the adapter to a nearby Midas shop that did. For a five dollar contribution to their party fund, they took care of that for me. If your bushing is okay, then you can just remove the seal with a dull screwdriver and install the new one using a large socket and a plastic hammer. You won't even have to remove the adapter. Then put it back together and check your fluid level. Messy but not too bad, and a lot cheaper than having someone else do it.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies. Unfortunately my time with work is very tight right now. I barely have time to scratch my arss. Probably going to have to have someone do it for me and pay for it. I talked to the shop that does my Bronco stuff and they assured me that they do seals on 700r4 transmissions all the time. It's a widely used transmission. Thanks again.