Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Running Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Running Problem

Hey guys, I am just getting in on your conversation here, I am a new member and was browsing through topics to find one similar to mine. You seem to have it! (Historical build up) I traded for my 1984 vette 2 years ago, it was running rough when I got it but the more I drove it the better it seemed to get until it just quit running on me altogether. I was headed into work one morning, on the hiway going the posted speed 70 and she just lost all power, it didn't die but the more acclerator I gave it the less it wanted to go, so I basically idled to the nearest exit, idled to the next main street heading toward the office intending on parking it somewhere safer than the interstate...when I eased onto the main street about 3 miles from where things started to deteriorated it started going again...so I drove on to work then home and the next time I drove it was to a shop someone had recommended could TS and fix my problem (got in August crapped out in November pretty much a daily drive to and from work)...they r&red my water pump unrelated but needed to be done to be done...did compression, checked cleaned and reinstalled plugs and wires charged me $400 bucks and said I was ready to get back on the road...I didn't make it to the house, 8 miles from the shop it did it again (this time in daylight) black exhaust idle speed only...I made it to the next exit and into a parking lot before it died, I had to leave it there for a few hours to get my thoughts together...it started back up for me so I decided to get it home at idle speed but only made it 2 more miles before it died again so I called a tow service in...I called one of the local Chevrolet dealerships to see if I could have it brought there for professional help and was less the enthusiasticaly received so the Tow service drives (also a C-4 owner) recommended a shop and I called and they seemed happy to take a look...They reported a nightmare, wire splices, the throttle rod had been bent in an effort to adjust fuel control and things like that...they repaired some splices got the code reader on it, put in a new computer, replaced the PROM, changed the plugs so $600 later I was back on the road (I only live 3 miles from this shop)...didn't make it to the house before it started coughing and sputtering but I pressed on to the driveway, called back he said he could get me a discount on the tow back to the shop (I passed on the generous offer)...so I was talking to a shadetree mechanic friend of mine who has some Chevrolet experience and this new problem sounded like the fuel filter or pump to him, I changed them both myself and wow it was running like a top...then a few months and a couple day trips down the road I am back to it starts and idles okayyyy but if you press the accelerator it is not happy...browsed the Chilton and asked for some guidance and learned to use a jumper to read the codes. I get the 12 three times 33 three time and the 12 three times...Hand shake, MAF or MAP sensor, Hand shake. My Vin 8 doesn't have a MAF so I changed the MAP needless to say this did not change a thing...What next I am at the end of my TS capabilities and mechanical skills. I probably should have started my own thread but your problem seemed close so if I follow along I might get going too.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:59 PM

A car has to have fuel, oxegyn, and spark to run. Apparently neither of your cars are getting one or more of those or just not enough to keep it running. Hmm, I have a 86 and I have had alot of problems. Have you tried the paper clip test. Take a paper clip and bend it into a U. Put one end in the top left hole and the other in in the top right hole Turn the ignition to on BUT DO NOT start it. it will flassh code 12 3 times and then show ur trouble cods and then flash code 12 3 more times. Then you have your codes. You can match codes to each specific problem OR you can take your car to autozone and they will do it free of charge. Good luck. Ill try to think about that tonight. How is your transmission? Any past problems? Also is your check engine light going off?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 PM

I think I got your answer. It happened to me. Check yoru distirbutor cap and rotor. Is the rotor button loose with the metal part that taps to make the spark. Is that ok and is your distributor and rotor button tight. A screw could possibly be loose or too long. Not installed right. Happened to me read my other post in mechanic thread. That could be your problem. Hopefully that helps.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I looked, but I did not see what year model you said your Vette was. LT1, L98, LT4? [8D]

Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 AM

So, what did the computer say? I was using the bent wire jumper on my 1984 to reveal the code 33.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 AM

I did the same thing, checking for fuel, it shouldn't be streams it should be more of a spray.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Alright guys I finally got the car fixed. After a trip to the dealership I am realized that those guys dont know anything. Well atleast to the dealership i took the car are. After calling corvette places numbers of times and giving ideas of what parts to change the problem never got better. But after changing all the part that deal with the fuel I finally decided to check on the fuel pump and good thing for this thread and learning that u dont have to drop the tank to change which saved alot of time. I found that the filter on the bottom on the fuel pump and extremely dirty and at that was ripped. So now having all the fuel parts brand new and a fuel pump new with a new filter the car is running good just a lil idle control touches and will be good to go.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure and check your vacuum source to your MAP sensor with a vacuum gauge teed into the vacuum supply line to it.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Be sure and check your vacuum source to your MAP sensor with a vacuum gauge teed into the vacuum supply line to it.

What does that do?