Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

small antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Default small antifreeze leak

Hi all,

This is my first post... and my first Vette - a 91 automatic w/74000 miles on it that I bought about 1 mth ago. I'm no handyman when it comes to car engines, so I plan on turning things over to a mechanic when the going gets tough...

I first noticed a few small drops of antifreeze in my garage about 2 weeks ago. Brought it immediatley to the garage and told them to check hoses/belts. They said hoses/belts were fine and the problem was the radiator cap so they installed a new one. This seemed to work, until today I noticed a few drops in the garage again! It runs a little hot when in traffic, and although it's been hot here in Charleston, SC, I haven't been running the AC much (gas is MUCH more expensive when you put in the good stuff!).

So, any thoughts as to what it might be and what I should do next? I know this may be indicitive of everything/nothing, but I'm curious as to what others think...

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Default RE: small antifreeze leak

maybe a little overflow? I know first hand how hot it is there. On my wedding day we spent to much time at the local pud (the Griffin) and was running a half hour late! My vette got me there in time for the walk. car was running hot and shedding a little overflow from reserve. She cooled down soon ( the vette, not wife) for the race back to the hotel for the honeymoon

Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Thanks eggbutt... Charleston is great but everything sure does get hot (the Vette, the weather, the wife...). Should I just keep checking the garage for spots and check the levels to ensure I'm not hemmoraging antifreeze?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Where is the drop hitting the floor in relation to the engine. May be leaking from the weap holes on the waterpump if the pump is going out. Keep an eye on it what ever you do. These cars run hot enough as it is(197-230) and with loss of coolant can over heat quick. Good luck, Cheers

Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Could be several things. Water pump seal, radiator, heater control valve. Have you noticed the proximity of the leak in respect to your car?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies... the drop was very small and if I drew a picture of the hood, it would be close to the middle, maybe a little bit towards the passenger side. It has not leaked since that day it got real hot, so I'm hoping that maybe it was just a little overflow and that it's not related to the water pump. The car only has 74700 miles on it, so I'm hoping the water pump isn't going. Could it just be related to the engine getting too hot and a little overflow collant came out??? I hope???

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM

[X(]Theres a small hose near the oil filter that keeps the oil cool. There may be a pinhole in that hose.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Hi again all,

About a month ago I was having a problem with a little coolant leaking. Well, it doesn't happen often, but it's still leaking a little from time to time. This time, I have pix (please see below).

Background: 1991 with 76,000 miles on it. I've had belts and hoses checked, radiator cap replaced, and clamp on lower radiator hose adjusted. I can't see where the leak is originating from looking from the top or bottom, but maybe from these pix you all can help. It's not running particularly hot, and there's still plenty of coolant left in the resevoir. Any thoughts????
Thanks!
Mike

Old 06-24-2007, 04:10 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mattisano

... They said ... the problem was the radiator cap so they installed a new one. This seemed to work,
Thanks!
This is really strange. Did they show you leakage indications coming out from under the radiator cap? Of course not!!! Ya' gotta ask questions dude. "How is a new cap gonna' stop my leak that's not there?"

This is what the consumers do - not the mechanics... buy new parts to toss at the problem, and hope it works. "Seems to be better...".

NO, it ain't NO BETTER, and you didn't hit the jackpot. Keep your fully automatic assault wallet in your pocket!!![sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]

I'd get the $$$ back from that mechanic, and go elsewhere.

Your leak is between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 AM

hello my vette had this same promblem, started off a small leak and became a big problem. i found out in the early 90's chevy didnt plain the block very well and this can caues problems later. my vette decided to leak between the block and the head. hope this is not the issue but it may be somthing to check out. i ruined one of my pistons because of this.

Quick Reply: small antifreeze leak