Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Spare parts/special tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Default Spare parts/special tools

Please recommend spare parts and any special tools that might be needed for repairs to keep moving if
broken down in remote areas for a 1984 C4. Almost everywhere here is remote and without cellphone
coverage.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Default RE: Spare parts/special tools

the usual: screw drivers, sockets and wreches (esp. metric) vice grips, pliers,
and some torx sockets including the small t10 and t15 torx screw drivers, flashlight is a must.

as far as parts, im trying to think what breaks down regularly enough to keep with you. maybe an engine belt, coolant hose tape, couple hose clamps, fuses

i cant think of a lot of easy bolt on parts that will leave you stranded. most, if they break, your car will just run bad. The ECM is the only thing that has really left me absolutely standed. and the starter motor once (but i learned that you can sometimes fix that with a hammer). And the fuel pump died while i was going down the highway, i was actually able to change that out in the mall parking lot. not too bad of a job. only need the basic tools.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 AM

Thanks for that. Have all that in the car. Your take makes me feel alot better about it all.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Just carry a bicycle with you just in case. LOL [8D]

Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 PM

I actually have a folding ebike that fits behind the seats. But, we're talking really remote here with very
steep hills.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

The only thing that has ever left me stranded is the fuel pump. maybe keep one in the storage box behind the seat. Cheers

And maybe a solar battery charger.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Good idea.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM

2 Radiator hoses
Every voltage of fuses**just in case**
Serpentine belt
Battery tender
2 or three cans of Antifreeze
2 gallons of DISTILLED water
Extra Radiator cap
Hood popping tool*a must have*
Spare tire
Jack
Tire sealant
Battery operated and/or ciggarette outlet air filler for a flat tire
Wrenches
Sockets
Pliars/vice grips
Credit Card
Cellphone
Triple AAA
A buddy**person**
Some windshield washer fluid
Keep your gas tank ABOVE HALFWAY
Tire pressure gauge
Make sure all cables, wires ect are good before you leave
Id say a set of spare headlights but maybe not....Just in case one burns out. There only 9 bucks here so w/e you wanna do
A rotor button.....dont ask, long story.....
Some clamps
A small pack of screws
Small pack of bolts/nuts
A quart or two of oil
A small bottle of brake fluid
A small bottle of powersteering fluid
Some miscellaneous hoses.....
A good first aid kit
A sharp pocketknife
A bottle of pepperspray....Just in case
Put a spare key in your gas fill space on the back in a little magentic container.....

If I think of anything else, which I probably will....nothing to do tonight......ill post it....

Basically check everything if your going on a long trip or if something seems different. That list should cover MOST prblems. Keep your cars maintenance up. Always replace things that are most likely to go out BEFORE THEY DO. Starter, alternator, battery....Stuff like that. Keep your tires good tread good and air pressure. Use common sense. Plan your way for ALL TRIPS. Take the safest way where you know you can always have help. Avoid going ANYWHERE alone. Even if its five minutes down the road.....You never know where a friend could help you out.....

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM

O. Just saw the fuel pump thing. Yep thats good to. Fuel pressure gauge is handy. Some clean rags. A hammer, screwdrivers, Some gloves, A emergency blanket, A GOOD flashlight, spare batterys for the flashlight, Something to snack on like a pack of crackers or something....Non perishable food....Cell phone charger that goes in your ciggarette lighter, Emergency roadside flares, Reflectors to put beside your car, A white T-Shirt to put outside your window to signal for help, A spare set of clothing like a shirt and some pants, socks, maybe a pair of old shoes...

Old 01-21-2007, 04:34 AM

Wow, a comprehensivelist. Actually, have almost all of that in the 1980 Daimler, but it has alot more
storage space in the trunk. Pepperspray is illegal here (and police don't carry guns). But, even tho
I wasn't supposed to ask, what is a rotor button?

Quick Reply: Spare parts/special tools