Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Spare parts/special tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Default RE: Spare parts/special tools

A rotor button is what gives your car the spark. Its under the distributor cap with the small piece of metal on it. If you dont know what it is, I suggest replacing it NOW, with a good one from NAPA. Also a new coil is very good distibutor cap, spark plugs and wires....That should help your car run more effiecently. As you say not enough space, I have to disagree. You have two compartments behind your seats. The one behind the passenger has the SMALL black box. Remove it which is what I did and theres a good bit of space in there fill it up then put the black box back on top and then fill that up. On the other side is your abs module Remove the black box and there should be insulation underneath it. Leave hte inuslation on top but you could fit a few small items then put the black box back on top. Fill up that black box. You have some cargo space so bring a small duffle bag and fill it up. Use economy sized botles of fluid ect. The duffel bag should help out ALOT. Ive been on the side of the road alot and im only 18. Each time I have had a friend with me and together we have gotten the car back home in a safe way but it was only temporairly. Had most of these items with me but the credit card and a few other knick knacks. Now I have everything and if I go out of town like "senior week" at the beach, I have my parents credit card. Dont forget your middle space console. Theres a little room in there. I suggest removing excess stuff YOU DONT need, Keep your car clean inside. Make the ride more comfortable and you would be surprised how much space food bags, dirt and stuff take up....I believe its the 90 models that have the glove compartment on the passenger side? I had one on my first vette and it was a nintey it was fairly spacey so keep that in there. Always ALWAYS, keep your cars original owners manual with you. Dont got one? Get one a.s.a.p......

Old 01-21-2007, 09:40 PM

i dont know the story on the rotor button but i know them things are spring loaded and you shouldnt play with them in the middle of the night unless your in your own driveway.
that list of survival gear sounds pretty good but you might take more water with you depending on how many crackers you pack. i figure about a gallon per box ought to get you bye .
for instance 30 boxes of crackers x one gallon = 240 Lbs water. well maybe you better put a extra leaf spring in there too . in fact i wouldnt chance driveing it untill i had all this stuff.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

here's another one...Join your version of AAA and get a satellite phone.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 PM

man these threads take a left and keep on going sometimes. heck i forgot the question

Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 AM

guess we wore this one out huh? too bad i didnt even touch base on the camping gear yet.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Its not worn out. I think its just some stupid responses that pertain nothing to the OP quiestion.....Spring loaded???????????? Huh? Well I don't know what part YOUR talkn about but MINE is held down by two blue colored screwes. Unless I have missed something and yes I did replace mine in the dark with a flood light in our driveway.....

Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 PM

Just a difference in terminology: we call the 'rotor button' just the 'rotor.' Have a repro workshop manual, but
they left out the wiring diagrams at the end. Dang.