Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Squeaky at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Default Squeaky at idle

Hi, I'm getting a squeaky sound at idle. The sound seems to be coming from the alternator belt. Any of you guys have similar issues and what did you do to get rid of it.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Squeaky at idle

One way to check to see if the belt is squeaking is to spray belt while running with WD 40. WD acts as a temporary belt dressing and if the belt is squeaking it will quit temporarily. [8D]

Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Hi,my friend.Maybe your belt may need to be replaced.Check it out,you never know.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 AM

I did the WD-40 thing and I think it isn't the belt. It's more of a tapping sound when it's a bit cold out at idle. It goes away once I start running but comes back at idle. I've read elsewhere that it might be piston slap? So I'm not sure if I should take it seriously, or if it's a non-issue. I'm wondering if the last owner used the recommended oil, because it wasn't doing this when it was pretty warm out. Seems that now that it's a bit colder, that's when the tapping has started.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Can you tell if it is side specific (left bank, right bank)? Might be a lifter. Change your oil and put in a quart of Rislone. Might be a sticking lifter. You can get a piece of heater hose 2 or 3 feet long, put one end to your ear and use the other end to listen around the engine. The hose will isolate the noise above engine noise.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Can you tell if it is side specific (left bank, right bank)? Might be a lifter. Change your oil and put in a quart of Rislone. Might be a sticking lifter. You can get a piece of heater hose 2 or 3 feet long, put one end to your ear and use the other end to listen around the engine. The hose will isolate the noise above engine noise.
That'd be my guess, too, from here.

Engines with some mileage on them can normally produce a little tappet noise, can't they? Just curious as to your opinion on this, as ours does have a weeeeeeeee tap when it's cold... hardly noticeable unless you really squint your ears...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

That is a sign of the lifter bleeding off oil. Fairly common with hydraulic lifters with some age on them. The springs in them get weak with age and don't have enough tension until oil pressure reaches them, so they produce a little tappet noise. [8D]

Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM

you can use a broom handle, put it on various parts of the engine and put your ear next to the handle and narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: raisinbran

you can use a broom handle, put it on various parts of the engine and put your ear next to the handle and narrow down where the noise is coming from.
lol. With a comment like that one. This guy is really in college. Leave it to the poor college kids to come up with ideas to squeeze around.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

That is a sign of the lifter bleeding off oil. Fairly common with hydraulic lifters with some age on them. The springs in them get weak with age and don't have enough tension until oil pressure reaches them, so they produce a little tappet noise. [8D]
So I just got to live with the tappet noise or is there a way to get rid of the tappet noise.

Quick Reply: Squeaky at idle