Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   Stock C4 vs Saleen Mustang S281 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/stock-c4-vs-saleen-mustang-s281-3988/)

gizwilly 11-19-2006 12:31 AM

Stock C4 vs Saleen Mustang S281

Alright...

I've got a stock C4, 1992 Lt1.

Bro-in-law has a 2001 Saleen Mustang S-281. Supercharged!

What's the outcome of a race????

Black86vette 11-19-2006 11:48 AM

RE: Stock C4 vs Saleen Mustang S281

If you had the L-98 you have alot of low end torque so you could get him off of take off BUT THATS IT!!! L-T1 is for higher RPMs but Im not familiar with your specs......hopefully some one else will....You wont win by much IF ANY....so be prepared to loose horriably.

gizwilly 11-19-2006 12:41 PM

I believe he's holstering about 450 HP....but I think his Saleen is a much heavier car than the Corvette.

I would expect to be soundly spanked....but who knows?

Looking forward to a head-to-head.

Black86vette 11-19-2006 12:53 PM

You do have some advantages. Aerodynamics, Weight, but horssepower what do you have? If you had time you could get in a few small mods that might help a little...Like I said I dont know about much but hopefully the vert will come up and show that even if its old its still got plenty of kick left in it.:D

raisinbran 11-20-2006 02:35 AM

yea i thinks there no question the mustang would take you. i think he would pull out, and maybe halfway through the race you would atleast keep him from pulling away any farther. If you were to slap the same SC on then it would be a different story.

mech259 11-20-2006 09:37 AM

Say goodbye to the Mustang's tailights! LOL :D

OBLA_EMA 11-20-2006 01:25 PM

I have a friend with a S/C 5.0 liter Mustang, but he has GT-40 heads(no, I don't know where he got them) and he taunts me when we're out together... He'll slow down and let me go by and then hammers it and flys by me(#$%^*&)... My 93 LT-1 is bone stock, so I don't feel TOO bad being "circled" by a car with $20k in mods....

Black86vette 11-20-2006 10:22 PM

:D Thats when you slow down let him get in front of you and pull out the old trusty "sawed off shotgun":D HORSE HUNTING IS NOW IN SEASON!!! Shoot out those tires and wave the bird as you fly by see ya pony.

gizwilly 11-20-2006 10:44 PM

You guys are a Hoot!

Thanks for the input.....

I'll let ya know what happens when he drives his Sorry-A** Mustang over here.

Just Kidding! It's a beauty! (Except for that cat that's now embedded in the radiator!!!!)

LeesVette 11-20-2006 11:58 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Say goodbye to the Mustang's tailights! LOL :D

So true! It wont even be close. I have a 92 bone stock and i feel for you, bro.

gizwilly 11-21-2006 12:51 AM

The plot thickens folks. Apparently I overrated the lad's Saleen. Looks like it turns out about 365 hp, rather than the 450 hp I gave him credit for.

Closer.........

Black86vette 11-21-2006 09:00 AM

You wont get whipped as bad, but still......He is gunna wax your azz so bad itll shine. :D Ive gotten beat by a cora, a C5, a subaru, and a charged eclipse(ahh he was fast) If you can post the race. Good luck

JoeVetteman 11-22-2006 12:42 PM

Well,put that Saleen against an '01 Z06.I know you all know what the outcome of that will be.Let us not even mention the NEW Z06.Not even Vipers can hang with it.Nor Ferraris,Porsches,well,you get the picture.

Black86vette 11-22-2006 01:51 PM

Could u imagine say a C4 JUST AS FAST as the C6 Z06. The viper would **** his pants. LOL. That would be a tough pull off though.

musclefanatic 11-25-2006 02:26 AM

sorry to say it, but the mustang is right next to you for weight. i forget exacly how heavy they are but its not much more than your vette. a supercharged saleen will whomp on 98% of the popualtion. cept for all out drag cars.

Curious George 11-25-2006 06:41 PM

musclefanatic - A guy I work with has a 2001 Bullit and it is supercharged. According to his dyno figures he is putting about 415~420 HP (if I remember correctly) to the rear wheels. The car is FAST, but that is it. It handles for $hit. I would not say that a supercharged Saleen is 98%, but perhaps 90% of the common affordable muscle cars on the road. There are a lot of TransAm's and Camaro's out there, as well, that can whoop a$$ too.

That 4.6 liter Ford engine is not the easiest V8 to work on either - just FYI, but then again we have the dreaded Opti-Spark!

CG

gizwilly 11-26-2006 01:44 AM

Yeah Muscle:

I looked it up....the Corvette and the Saleen are within a few pounds of each other as near as I can tell.

I'm just gonna have to hope that he gets so jazzed about seeing me in his rearview that he misses a gear!!!!

raisinbran 11-26-2006 04:53 AM

That 4.6 liter Ford engine is not the easiest V8 to work on either - just FYI, but then again we have the dreaded Opti-Spark!

CG
This is true. But they respond very well to something simple as pullies and a chip.

Black86vette 11-26-2006 01:28 PM

Sooooooo. We are all dying to know how it went down. Did you loose.....did you miracously pull it off.;) Horse season?

musclefanatic 11-29-2006 03:11 AM

Curious George, true but we dont know if the heads were upgraded, if the heads were upgraded from the 4.6 stockers then those mustangs will fly. as always it depends on the car, no two are the same. a good point you made though.

blueshark 11-29-2006 03:41 AM

hey Gizwilly, Great lookin' Vette you have there.

here's mine, Cool!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2713/0AD5FF96326544A3B49E1F4C022970EE.jpg[/IMG]

383_proof 11-29-2006 12:30 PM

I currently own a 2001 Cobra Convertible (DOHC 4.6) but I hang out with Corvette Guys. Both C4 and C5. I bought a Cobra because I could not afford a vette at that time. My cobra has basic bolt ons i.e. full exhaust, 3:55 gears, P&P upper plenum. I have raced 93 and 94 C4's also both with muff mods and beat them both. Pretty much walked away, no spank.

I've also gone against 281 Saleens.....They hang with me unitl around 110 MPH, then i take a walk..... Based on my experience, I don't think you have a chance in stock trim form.

I've alway been a Corvette and Mustang fan and never really understood the ford/gm rivals. They are both great cars (even camaros and TA) and have made their mark in american automotive history.

One of the Corvette Guys I hang out with is selling me his 94 roadster (Merry Christmas to me!) that is a beast! A lot of mods....i know it's bored out to 383 with w vortech s-trim that's alcohol cooled.....hence the name 383 Proof. Hopefully I will confirm the sale next week! Cross your fingers for me!

gizwilly 11-29-2006 01:50 PM

BlueShark:

Beauty! Ya know they only made 1000 or so of these in '92!

Run that thing out here to Oregon, and we'll race 'em side by side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gizwilly 11-29-2006 02:05 PM

Fire 'em UP 383!!!!

Good on ya!

TopSpeed 12-04-2006 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 383_proof

One of the Corvette Guys I hang out with is selling me his 94 roadster (Merry Christmas to me!) that is a beast! A lot of mods....i know it's bored out to 383 with w vortech s-trim that's alcohol cooled.....hence the name 383 Proof. Hopefully I will confirm the sale next week! Cross your fingers for me!

Fingers AND toes crossed here for ya, dude!

gizwilly 12-04-2006 10:26 PM

Bro-in-law lives a state away....and probably won't bring the Pony this way until the spring thaw.

But we ARE gonna wind 'em up. I'm looking forward to it, win...lose...or draw.

I'll report here when it happens. See if I can get some video.

Corvette_Johnny 12-05-2006 04:16 AM

you will lose.

mariogarcia@usa.com 12-07-2006 02:03 PM

Whats the difference between a Saleen and a Cobra anyway?

ZR2 12-23-2006 03:25 PM

Yep you'll lose that fight.[8D]

92VETTE 12-24-2006 01:00 AM

OH C-MON GUYS WERE VETTE GUYS HERE! LOL I SAY YOU SUPERCHARGE YOUR VETTE AND EAT HIS ASS ALIVE! I HAD A SUPERCHARGED 95 LT1 Z-28 AND I USE TO WALK ALL OVER THOSE CARS!!...PLUS THE VETTE IS WAY COOOLER!!!!

ZR2 12-24-2006 04:36 PM

yeah race him , but if i were you i wouldn't bet money[8D]

blueshark 12-24-2006 04:49 PM

What ever you do be careful and have fun. nobody has the perfect car or is the perfect driver. you never know what might happen. I remember when I was a kid I raced a NYS trooper in his 65 vette with a blown 427/4 speed. I had a '70 Torino with a nascar boss 429 Dragpac 4 speed. in Ideal conditions he should have won just concidering the weight alone. He faild to feather the clutch correctly and spun his tires too long and I walked away from him. I got lucky and knew it. but it sure was fun raceing a cop and not getting in trouble. LOL.

Achilles 12-27-2006 10:21 PM

Why would your brother-in-law want to have braging rights over a car 14 years old anyway. Not to mention that yours is a bone stock factory production linevehicle, & w/o a supercharger to boot. That's like saying your Vette blew away a '78 firebird. Yea, so what!

Borrow a new Z06 and see his jaw drop. All things being equal, you should be racing late model vs.late model. Still yet, he's got an aftermarket car. But you'd blow his doors off in the Z.

Thats what ets me about these kids that have these souped up rice grinders with their turbos and NOS wanting to race me in the Z06. Yea, they may be faster, I dunno. But let me put the $10K-$15K that they spent on their car & put it in mine and see who's laughing now.

I think its great that that people want to challenge us Vette owners because when you're at the top, everyone wants a piece of you. Bottom line...win or lose, you still have a vette...America's ONLY true sports car! Oh, once you lose the drag race, challenge him to an autocross. That will even the score.

Good luck!

gizwilly 01-01-2007 05:43 PM

Actually...he didn't challenge me. The race is my idea....just for fun!

Black86vette 01-01-2007 07:19 PM

[sm=bangbang.gif]Tell the pustang to get on the road. Stoplight race. First one to 55 wins. Hell spin his tires and burnout. Autos rule. Stick the gas to the floor and hold on tight. Run the wienie off the road. sjeez. Its the driver that counts. Cheat. Shoot out his tires, spin him out, takea shortcut. Who cares. This thread is blah blah blah mustnags gunna whip ass. Well for everyone thinking the stangs gunna win. YOUR GUNNA EAT YOUR OWN WORDS. So ha. Who cares if the cars old . Its a corvette. corvette=cool, chick magnet, fast, fun, sexy lookn, and just plain rare.....

gizwilly 01-03-2007 12:25 AM

Hey!

Whaddya mean my car's old????

If it was a chick, she'd be jailbait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=gears.gif]

JoeVetteman 01-12-2007 06:19 PM

Hello again,guys.You know,I was thinking.Every now ans then,some moron in a little 4-cylinder with a blower or whatever,or a blown Mustang,you know,a few younger kids thinking they're hot,will try to challenge me or at least rev up their motors thinking I'll be impressed.Sometimes I might have fun,sometimes not.The point is,gentlemen,the Corvette has ALWAYS been the one car everybody wants to beat!That's part of the appeal of it and why it's such a great car.Yeah,a few might get me,but so what?After all,my '96 is fairly stock(for now),although it runs like a monster with no problems.I'll just let them have their fun until MY time to have fun comes around.Remember,we all as Vette owners have a new champion on our side the Z06.And there are quite a few out there with some nice mods,so if you get kicked by a new car,so be it.There's plenty of monsters out there to make us proud.Besides,nothing looks better than a Vette of any vintage,I say.Going fast or standing still.LONG LIVE THE C4!!!

383_proof 01-20-2007 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mariogarcia@usa.com

Whats the difference between a Saleen and a Cobra anyway?
Saleen is to Mustang what Lingenfelter is to Corvettes. Third Party performance bulder. A typical Saleen Mustang is basically a Mustang GT with a body kit (4.6 OHV 2)...you have the option of going with bigger brakes and supercharging. A supercharged Saleen put about 330 at the flywheel. I don't know RWHP numbers.

SVT Cobras are the Z06 of Mustangs. The Cobra's 320HP(flywheel) 4.6 DOHC motors are hand built in Ford's SVT Plants. Saleen Cobra's do exist but they are rare and freakin fast....I can go on an on but you'd have to buy popcorn... lol

383_proof 01-20-2007 02:52 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

Hello again,guys.You know,I was thinking.Every now ans then,some moron in a little 4-cylinder with a blower or whatever,or a blown Mustang,you know,a few younger kids thinking they're hot,will try to challenge me or at least rev up their motors thinking I'll be impressed.Sometimes I might have fun,sometimes not.The point is,gentlemen,the Corvette has ALWAYS been the one car everybody wants to beat!That's part of the appeal of it and why it's such a great car.Yeah,a few might get me,but so what?After all,my '96 is fairly stock(for now),although it runs like a monster with no problems.I'll just let them have their fun until MY time to have fun comes around.Remember,we all as Vette owners have a new champion on our side the Z06.And there are quite a few out there with some nice mods,so if you get kicked by a new car,so be it.There's plenty of monsters out there to make us proud.Besides,nothing looks better than a Vette of any vintage,I say.Going fast or standing still.LONG LIVE THE C4!!!
"Here, Here" JoeVetteman........

I'm still trying to sell my 2001 Cobra... I am finalizing the purchase of my c4 next week! CAN'T WAIT!!

Black86vette..... no words to eat here... if that C4 is stock and that Saleen is SC'd, then that Saleen will walk away... My Cobra is not SC'd.....only bolt-ons and I have taken C4 with bolt ons.... no contest

I don't like getting caught up in the Ford/Chevy rivals and start making fun of either one.....they both make great cars and both have made Amercian history... Rice on the other hand is a whole different story!!

BluBeaSSt 01-20-2007 12:35 PM

You LT1 should put around 255-260hp to the wheels.....Your gonna get spanked.....unless ya go around a road course and he dosent know how to drive :D