Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Stripped Clearcoat and polished rims today

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Default Stripped Clearcoat and polished rims today

Okay, I was debating rather to buy new rims or polish my originals. My originals had corrosion that snuck under the Clear coat and were a bit banged up on the sides due to balance wgts. To save a little $$ I decided to fix up the original rims. Now for anyone interested on a "how to" I'll recap my day of rim polishing for you. This is not for the faint at heart, it took me the WHOLE day and I mean until dark to finish this project.

You'll Need
1-Paint Stripper (I used Stripeze) $6.29
2-Polishing Cream (I used Mothers) $6.99
3-000 Steel wool $1.99
4-Paint Brush (small, for applying stripper) $1.99
5-Plastic scraper $.99
6-Mothers Power Ball (miniature) $19.99
7-Garned hose and soap

Around $38 bucks, give or take a two. You could live without the Power Ball but it saved some elbow greese for sure.

First off, I didn't remove my tires or want to strip any of the silver paint on my rims. This made it a bit more difficult because I had to be real careful not to get stripper on the painted areas.

1- I removed the wheels off from one side of the vehicle to due two at one time (seemed to work faster)
2-Removed the balance wgts. (Took digital pics so that I put them on the same spot.)
3-I sanded and painted the balance wgts. While they were off
4-Clean rim and tire very good with cleaner
5-Applied coat of stripper and let sit for 15 minutes
6-scrubbed with stiff brush first, then a plastic scraper and finally with steel wool.
7-I had to repeat #5&#6two more times to get the entire clear coat off
8-hosed and scrubbed all remaining signs of stripper
9-Took mothers Power Ball and stuck it in the polishing compound
10-Polished rims with Power Ball for about 5 minutes, cleaned with water and soap.
11-Repeated #10 two more times
12-Cleaned with soap and water
13-dryed and put balance wgts. & Center caps back on
14-Put Armour all on tires and bolted back on the car.

The rims turned out awesome. I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to post them. I know they will take a little more work to keep clean for now on, but they look like new rims. If anyone has any questions just let me know and I'll help. AGAIN, this took me all day but it was worth it.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Default RE: Stripped Clearcoat and polished rims today

Sounds like a labor of love........

Imagine it really looks good and it's all about the looks that get the looks.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 AM

You are right about it being an all day affair. I did pretty much the same thing you did. The results looked great though. I did repaint the inside of the spokes of my wheels back. Everyone who sees them aske me if they are new!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 AM

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

O.K I'm sorry...

Not at ALL worthless but I really would like to see some pic's please. Pretty please

I've got the same issues. Need some help thus the reason for requesting some pics.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Ha.........I like that. Sorry, I'm out of town but when I return I do plan on uploading some pic's. The rims really turned out nice. My clear coat was messed up from nicks and where various balance wgts. had been. If you have any questions other than needing pic's please ask. It wasn't that hard, just time consuming.

My project for next week is replacing all the weather seals. I'll try to post up any information learned from that event also.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Dan - I'm in the same boat. Need to re-furbor have polished. Will look forward to your pics. Do you plan to re-clearcoat or just leave as is? Often wondered how a can of Plasticoat would work on newly done wheels.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM

I cleaned up the factory aluminum wheels on my '78 although I don't know if they ever had a clear coat. The car sat outside for ten years before I got it and the wheels were dull. I used Eagle One magnesium cleaner over the entire wheel as a first step then a fine three point file to smooth out the rough edges around the very outside of the rim. From that point I was able to clean up corrosion that had pitted the lathe turned surfaces with 600 wet paper and made the final polish with Mother's power ball and mother's metal polish. I was very pleased with the outcome and they have held up well although this wheel was never a high polish, I haven't decided if I'll polish them again and clear coat or just keep them clean and hope for the best.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:46 PM

okay, my first attemp to upload pics......so hopefully this works. You'll see my finished rim still needs a little rubbing. It got dark on me so I didn't completely finish buffing out all the old stains before I put them back on the car. Also, please disregard my chipped center caps, that's my next project.

The last pic is the finished pic if all works out well loading pics'

[IMG]local://upfiles/5426/6C8DDF7FCA674421A98687089E5C5D53.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5426/BFDEDFB54EAF4F9EB3F56D833EEEFCB4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5426/F3B440A70A3745AD9E8FF39A5248C8D5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5426/164172C92B98475EB5DAD8E78D734586.jpg[/IMG]