Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Supercharging Vette

Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Default Supercharging Vette

Hey guys, I have a friend with an 85 vette and he wants to supercharge it. First thing though is that I don't know much about superchargers on corvettes. So what would be the most amount of boost that the stock engine would be able to handle and what exact things would I have to change in the fuel system so that it would be able to handle the s/c.

Basicly I would like the most amount of information on this possible.

Thank you guys I appreciate it!!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Default RE: Supercharging Vette

although i am sure it is entirely possible to supercharge the stock motor, i dont think i would recommend it. I am definately not a car guru or anything, but depending on the mileage of the car and the condition of the motor, supercharging it could definately do some damage to it. I would recommend new pistons to change the compression ratio to make the engine more suitable for boosting. I dont know anything about fuel lines though, as i am dealing with my 94 not starting up right away... its about to feel the back of my hand, i am fed up with it. Well, whatever you decide to do, or your friend decides to do, good luck and i hope everything works out for you because i want to know first hand what kind of power comes from supercharging the c4 vettes. Have fun.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 AM

6 to 12 pounds of boost ( 12 will likly blow the engine) ...he needs to condider higher output fuel injectors as well...if under boost and running a lean condition ...BOOOOOM

Old 06-20-2006, 04:20 PM

I have never put a blower on a vette but have had several BBC motors in boats with blowers. I ran a ProCharger in a stock 454 with all cast parts with 9 pounds of boost getting the hp from 330 to 500. I have only done carb motors. I upgraded the fuel lines to 1/2 inch plus a SX fuel pump and fuel cooler and a great deal of time jetting it. It ran strong for three years before trashing a piston. My new motor is a 468 all forged pistons and steel crank. I am running a 177 blower with a 1050 Holley on it. It has about 600hp with no intercooler and running low boost. The fuel system is all 1/2 lines with high volume pump.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:28 AM

I am with Black. Was told by a guy who builds race engines that I would need much stronger components pistons, rod connector etc in order to supercharge it. Good luck!