Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

SYS Flashing on dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Default SYS Flashing on dash

SYS keeps flashing on the dash of my '92 and I'm not sure what systems this monitors, my owners manual only said it monitors some systems and take it to a dealer to have it checked. I replaced my stereo and it seemed to start after that, I had heard a rumor about this happening but not sure if they are related. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Default RE: SYS Flashing on dash

i think it has to do with the security system on the car. the security theft deterrent is inside the factory setup i believe .

Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 AM

I have the same proplem!! I have had my '94 in many shops to no avail. It flashes 3 times every fifteen seconds, right? I posted your same question back in october. Someone recently e-mailed me and said it is due to a week battery. The battery does go dead in storage in the cold winter, but absolutely no problems with the battery in the summer. I think you/we may be on to something with the radio as the previous owner of mine put an aftermarket JVC in my car....and did a real hack job of it too. Soon I will swap the battery and see if it works, but I am not optomistic. As I said, my SYS flashes 3 times every 15 seconds, but a few years ago I put two ten inch sub-woofers in the car. When I did this, I noticed the light constantly flashed instead of 3 times, waiting twelve seconds then flashing three more times. LETS FIGURE THIS ANNOTING PROBLEM OUT!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:13 PM

When I was looking for a installation kit, a guy at the Circuit City installation dept. said when they have installed units on these cars that the check engine light came on, I kinda chopped that up to a coincidence, but maybe he meant the SYS light. Yeah this is an annoying problem and I wouldn't have changed my factory stereo but my car was equiped with the non BOSE system and at that it was a tape player only, I tried a disc changer but the sound quality wasn't there with the FM modulator. Surely there has to be a fix to this!

Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 PM

I have the same problem. It started when I had an aftermarket stereo system installed on my 95 vette. They had to build a new harness to wire the stereo in. I don't think it has anything to do with a weak battery because I just replaced mine with a DuraLast and I still have the problem. If anyone knows how to resolve this annoying problem, it would be much appreciated.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM

I am going to attempt to fix this problem by hooking power back up to my old stereos brain since I left it under the dash. I will probably go to a salvage yard and get a pigtail for a factory stereo and wire it in with my existing plug so that my original stereo brain has power, if this fixes anything I'll let everyone know.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:38 AM

hey guys, can tell you one thing its not you battery, just put a new system in my 94 and now sys light is flashing, did new kenwood deck 4004 fosgate amp and 2 10 inch fosgates, and infinity speakers, my car didnt have the bose system, anways, we just unplugged factory deck, then we unplugged factory amp behind rear seat, then used a harness off the wires to wire everything, just did all this yeasterday, drove it home and now sys light is on, last nite took dash back apart plugged in fact amp and raido and sys light is off, so its something to do with the circuit that is left unplugged, my buddy here ownes a nice car audio shop, and is a computer wiz, there should be some way to bypass this, will take my car there today, and we will try to figure it out, will post and let you know whats goping on here soon as we get done tomarrow

Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 PM

Please keep us informed on what you find out on this SYS flashing problem. I would like to get rid of this problem once and for all.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM

They "SYS" light is triggered by anamolies in the electical system. Mine was triggered by the alternator starting to go out. However when I replaced it and disconnected the battery for 15 secs and reconnected it, it has never been back on. I also have heard that a new head unit in the stereo system will trigger it and can be rectified by reconnecting the original tuner to the electrical system, even if it not being used to tune stations.

Quick Reply: SYS Flashing on dash