Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Targa Top quick release???

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Default Targa Top quick release???

Hello everyone, first off im new to this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated -=).

On to buisness, I have a 1992 Vette. She has a glass Targa Top and that Targa Top is Attaced to the car VIA 4 bolts. Its not hard to remove the 4 bolts before i leave home, but it sure is a hassle to lock it back down when we stop at a store or anywhere in that matter where I loose direct sight of my car. Is there a quick release kit out there that I cant seem to find? Maybe a custom top made?Maybe someone knows a DIY (do it yourself) that can be done without hacking my car apart?

My sons 96Trans Amhas a quick release system on his t-tops and it sure makes it breeze to get his tops on and off. [X(]

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Default RE: Targa Top quick release???

I read the Mid America Motorworks Catalog religiously. The only products I have seen are canvas type tops that seal with velcro. The ad says that they are "Rain Proof" and secure at highway speeds. Not much on the security you are looking for though. Good luck. Post any results that you happen to find. - ZR1clone

Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 AM

There is no quick release kit for the C4 tops - period. What you got is all there is.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Ric

I have also spent some time looking into this and agree with Lee nothing. If you find some thing or go into makingone ( I think there would be a market) please let us know.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Ric

I have also spent some time looking into this and agree with Lee nothing. If you find some thing or go into makingone ( I think there would be a market) please let us know.

Ditto.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM

The only thing you can do is to buy a small cordless driver with a torx bit to run the bolts in and out quickly.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Not as good as a quick release,but if you set the alarm, it will sound if anybody opens your doors.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 PM

If I remember correctly, while reading "Corvette from the inside", it said that the C4 Corvette was designed as a "T" top but one of the top brass at Chevy wanted it completely open (Targa), this was done so late in the development stages and the frame could not be completely redesigned to accomodate the change. So in reality the top is a Structural Piece of the car. Something about quick releases weren't structurally sound and that is why a quick release wasn't included.

To be totally sure of this I'd have to go look it up in the book and re-read it, but that is the gist of it.

I don't know why someone hasn't come up with some type of quick release, it would seem logical to do it.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Toms94

If I remember correctly, while reading "Corvette from the inside", it said that the C4 Corvette was designed as a "T" top but one of the top brass at Chevy wanted it completely open (Targa), this was done so late in the development stages and the frame could not be completely redesigned to accomodate the change. So in reality the top is a Structural Piece of the car. Something about quick releases weren't structurally sound and that is why a quick release wasn't included.

To be totally sure of this I'd have to go look it up in the book and re-read it, but that is the gist of it.

I don't know why someone hasn't come up with some type of quick release, it would seem logical to do it.
That is a solid fact "The top is a Structural Piece of the car." When I have my targa top off the normal road vibration shakes my rear view mirror so bad I have to adjust it every 3 or 4 minutes if I want to use it. Pain in the **** but worth it for the view/cruising pleasure.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Since I have one of these babies, 1987, I am going to give this a lot of study to see if there is a way to develop a quick release. I've only had the car about a year and a half, and I've always thought it was too much trouble to remove the top. If I can come up with something, you all will be the first to know. [sm=sleeping.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa Top quick release???