Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Targa top sqeeks like crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Default Targa top sqeeks like crazy...

Hi guys (and girls), this is my first post in here. Yes, I tried the search function, but it kept giving me an error, so please forgive me on that one. Lastly, the 'Vette is my dad's. I've grown up around the cars all my life, but I just don't have the room or money to have two cars (I live in Michigan and though my dad did drive his '75 in the winter I prefer 4x4 trucks in the snow). However, whenI get out of school and have the room there will be a Vette in my driveway.

Anyways, I know this question has probably been asked a thousand and one times, but here it is once more. My dad's '95 coupe's targa top's sqeekingdrives us nuts whenever we drive it. Does anyone know of any tricks to stop it from sqeeking? At the very least reduce it a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Johnny K

Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Targa top sqeeks like crazy...

I bet its the glass top, insn't it. If it is then I have no cures. Mine squeaks also. Thats why I never use the glass top and only use the solid roof panel.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 AM

I have recently silicone sprayed all of my weather stripping in an effort to preserve it and help it shed water a bit better.

I found that the car is MUCH quieter than it was before.

It was an uexpected, pleasant surprise.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Yep, it's the glass one.

We just tried some weatherstripping restorrer. We put it on the other night, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If that doesn't work we'll give the sillicone a try. Where did you find it? What brand was it? Thanks again.

Johnny K

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
AXE

did you try to tighten the torx bolts that hold the roof on?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM

Tightening the tores bolts don't usually help. What happens is the glass top gets play in it between the the panel and the frame and there is usually no remedy short of buying a new one or having the old one refurbished.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

I bet its the glass top, insn't it. If it is then I have no cures. Mine squeaks also. Thats why I never use the glass top and only use the solid roof panel.
C4 frames have much flex in them. There's a crossmember made to bolt in when the top is out, to help retard the flex. Although it's possible, I can't imagine that theglass roof panel in its frame, is noisier than the solid roof panel in its frame...

Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM

The glass top doesn't have a headliner to help retard some of the noise and the glass top will seperate from the frame unlike the solid roof panel. the glass top will squeak like crazy while the solid roof panel it relatively quiet. Believe me when I tell you that a solid roof panel is much quieter, my glass panel chatters terribly and that why I never install it.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM

I put my solid targa top back in my '90 Vette but had considerable amt. of trouble getting front 2 screws
to tighten. Took several trys and still couldn't accomplish correctly as I have in the past. Doesn't seem like the roof screw tightening tool makes good contact? Rear 2 screws operate perfectly. Possibly need
to replace front 2? If so, where would a person locate replacements?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

I put my solid targa top back in my '90 Vette but had considerable amt. of trouble getting front 2 screws
to tighten. Took several trys and still couldn't accomplish correctly as I have in the past. Doesn't seem like the roof screw tightening tool makes good contact? Rear 2 screws operate perfectly. Possibly need
to replace front 2? If so, where would a person locate replacements?
I don't think you can replace the front ones. Mine will get a little out of alignment at times also. In mine the tool is reaching the screws but the screws have gotten a little off center.

Quick Reply: Targa top sqeeks like crazy...