Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

...and they're OFF

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 AM
cwb
Default RE: ...and they're OFF

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: SC300TURBO

so what exactly did you replace?...or did you just disassemble and clean it out and reassemble?...
was the gear itself stripped or just those bushings were disolved?....
thanks a ton for the help!
Jeff
All I did was exploratory, and clean. I haven't bought any parts yet.

That white nylon gear was slightly shredded. You can see it in one of the pics in the case, and on my finger.I say slightly, because I just got back from evenin' service, and I got NO CLICKIN'??? None, on several open / shut cycles.[&:][&:][&:]

When I did the re-assembly last night, I expected it to click, cause I didn't do anything, except check it out. And clean and lube.And it clicked.

Although the thing is workin' fine now (I'm clueless on why), I'm gonna' order some nylon gears tomorrow.

It is NOT workin fine now. It is just turnin' so quietly since it's cleaned and lubed, that I can hardly hear it.

Shiver - the delrins come integral with bronze gears, not nylon. That's why I couldn't find 'em.

All I knew before was the tech writer suggested nylon gears, to not strain the motor. Now I know, and I would not choose bronze gears, EVEN IF COST WAS THE SAME FOR BOTH.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 AM

EDIT: And where's that shiver guy? Do you see those delrin bushings in any of my pics? I didn't see anything like the MAMotorworks catalogue picture of the bushings. I need ta know if I should order them too...

Are those plastic bushings? I think there's suppose to be 3 of them.

You have more experience with them than I do, I've never torn one down before, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM

It is NOT workin fine now. It is just turnin' so quietly since it's cleaned and lubed, that I can hardly hear it.

Shiver - the delrins come integral with bronze gears, not nylon. That's why I couldn't find 'em.

All I knew before was the tech writer suggested nylon gears, to not strain the motor. Now I know, and I would not choose bronze gears, EVEN IF COST WAS THE SAME FOR BOTH.
Yea, I thought about that too whenSC300TURBO said something about using copper bushings. I wouldn't use metal bushings without using a plastic gear, and I wouldn't use a metal gear without using plastic bushings. You've got to have something that will give in case the motor doesn't shut off. I would rather replace the gear, than the motor, any day. $$

Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM
cwb

Yeah thanks there...

Those things you highlighted are here:

next to the manual turn **** - it's a brass bushing that the gear axle turns in. Also there are two wafer-thin washers, one is just to the right of the ****.

And incidentally, those two gaskets layin' on the **** are NOT available separately. Yer probably gonna' hafta' use rtv silicone for the armature housing cover, and the gear housing cover.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 PM
cwb

I got my headlight gear today. It looks like this:

Someone is LOLin' HARD, cause they know I didn't come close yet, huh???

Them 3 corners in the triangle is where the delrins bushings go, and I didn't order 'em...

This gear/axle assembly in my thumb and forefinger breaks down, doesn't it???

I'm gettin' a sick feelin' here now... Does anybody know on this thing here how it separates[sm=sick.gif][sm=sick.gif][sm=sick.gif]

It's all shiver's fault[:@]

Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 PM
cwb

WHAT'S UP WITH THEM HOLES!?!?!?!?! I'M ALREADYNIGHTMARE'IN' ABOUT THEM HOLES[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]

There ain't no wires, no magnets, nothin'!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's the sun.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM

It's all shiver's fault[:@]
Huh?? LOL...What did I do? [sm=innoc.gif]

I might as well take the blame, my wife blames me for everything too, so I'm use to it

I told you I've never done one before, this is a learning experience for me too.

Why didn't you order the bushings too, you big dummy? You can get em all for about six bucks, and you may still have to order em. Seems like I read that GM originally used a hard gel, and not a bushing, the after market came up with the idea to usethe bushing.

Take a hammer and see if you can tap the gear off, if that don't work, find a bigger hammer.

Seriously though, maybe the gear just snaps in place? I don't know, I'm sure if I had it in front of me I could figure it out.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
cwb

Just a little tap with the screwdriver handle...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/8DCB2626AC134F17BE6F6C92C3085263.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/4C88A2168A114081B2C5FD0FB29492D0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: SC300TURBO

so whats the verdict...did it fix the problem?
Hey scott... 'Course not.

Ya' gotta find the problem before ya' fix it. Unless you're employin' the Fully Automatic Assault Wallet approach [sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]Hit the problem with $340 worth of new parts and HOPE to fix it???. Not my style.

I found one worn part. (no you didn't) After all parts were cleaned, greased and oiled, and re-assembled, it did exactly what I expected it to do. The same thing.

And I'm gonna' go with a nylon gear - not bronze. Now that I see how easy it is, I'd still rather do it again in 3 years, than replace the entire motor for $140+, in 4 years.

But if ya' want, I'll let ya' know when I put the new gear in when it gets here...
Nah - it ain't my style - not at all[sm=grinangel.gif]

Anybody need a nylon gear???

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/FEBB9A92B6534CFB8E67059C4EF9057A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/ABFEFA096A0649309BE51A7E6F5A0B07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 AM

Looks like the, (cough) delrins bushings are shot.

Now we know, the rest of the story.

BTW...that used gear doesn't look that bad, is there any wear on it?

Quick Reply: ...and they're OFF