Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Took the roof down over the weekend, noticed something...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Default RE: Took the roof down over the weekend, noticed something...

ORIGINAL: 93C44FUN

TopSpeed, I have a 93 convertible and have noticed a similar line where the gasket sits. I haven't looked at it very closely but I would assume it is created from the gasket rubbing on the deck. My guess is, it is the nature of the beast and can be removed, but will reappear. Good luck.
You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate your feedback. I was starting to worry I had done something here to cause this, but now that I have seen your post here, I feel a LOT better my friend. Means the world to me.

I suspect you are right with it returning. I guess, so long as I now know it just wasn't me, or something I did, I am OK with all this....

Thanks kindly for taking the time to post!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I was just wondering, is there a removable hard top available for your Vette? I think you would still have the weather stripping prob, I was just wondering. ( This could be a determining factor for what year Vette I find for my wife. She doesn't like the look of Rag-tops.)
Yessir, there sure is! As a matter of fact, I believe a hardtop shell from 84-93? would work on this generation. They seem to be rather universal. I have seriously been thinking about this for next year... gotta get the climate control fixed first, that's priority for us. But next year, yeh, I am going to look into the clamshell hardtop for sure. I think you can get one fairly reasonably priced.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

I was just thinking, after looking at your pics again, I know there is a product (the name escapes me at the moment) that is a weather stripping conditioner. This might help to keep down on the friction of the weather stripping on the paint. ( kinda shootin' in the dark here, but I know this is a prob with a lot of rag and removeable hard tops )

Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM

Thanks my friend! I'll check into that.. I haven't had time yet to try and clean it up... been working too many hours here. I'm planning on doing something about this this weekend. Also, believe it or not, I am very relieved to hear you say "but I know this is a prob with a lot of rag and removeable hard tops" as now I know it's not just me. Thanks for taking the time, my friend, you rock good sir.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:55 PM

I was just thinking, after looking at your pics again, I know there is a product (the name escapes me at the moment) that is a weather stripping conditioner. This might help to keep down on the friction of the weather stripping on the paint. ( kinda shootin' in the dark here, but I know this is a prob with a lot of rag and removeable hard tops )
*ding, ding* Are you perhaps referring to dielectric grease? I have seen mention of this previously and it sounds like it may be the same thing!! [8D]

Old 08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

No, this is excusively a weather stripping conditioner. If I can remember the name i'll pass it along. (probably come to me about 2:30 in the a.m.)

Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM

No, this is excusively a weather stripping conditioner. If I can remember the name i'll pass it along. (probably come to me about 2:30 in the a.m.)
I should give you my phone number, so you can call.

Seriously, bro, if you do remember, I'd appreciate it. The dielectric grease stuff, they say to keep it away from paint, and seein's how this particular part of the roof RESTS on the paint, I am beyond nervous to try it. Probably won't, in this case, to be honest.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa !!!, NO, NO, NO !!! Don't do that!!! Got my mind really scramblin' now!!!
I'm goin' to hav'ta hit the "books" on this one. As soon as i find it, I'll let you know.

( Do you reeeaaallly want a call at 2:30 in the morn??? )
My wife would, hang, me if I solicited a call at that time!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:04 PM

ROFL!!!! Hey, bro, we're friends for sure, but yeh, the 2:30 am phone call??... Might elect to find an alternate method of communicatin'!!!

You crack me up, good sir.

Don't hurt yourself trying to remember that my friend. I think I've got enough info now to try and tackle this problem this weekend, but if you DO think of it, I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Well, I finally got around to takin' a close look at this issue and fixed it up last night. I just used car wash soap and had to scrub some to get it off, but it's gone now. There is a faint line there still, but our paint ain't perfect anyways on the car so I am not worried about it. I guess I find it royally wierd that this happened... it hasn't occured since that first time.... I don't know if it was a heat issue from the ambient air temperature up here, or what the heck happened... I'll keep my eyes on it closely now.

No one else with a drop top has seen this ever before? How about you folks way down south where it's very warm most of the time?

Quick Reply: Took the roof down over the weekend, noticed something...