Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

TPI low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Default TPI low fuel pressure

I have an 86 coupe. Just replaced the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator. The car cranks, but doesn't fire. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake, car fired up momentarily, then died. So, I'm thinking ignition is ok...fuel delivery is problem.

Here's what I found out so far:
Fuel pressure at schraeder valve is only 20psi. Crimping return line does not increase pressure.
With KOEO, I believe the fuel pump is supposed to come on for a couple of seconds to pressurize fuel rails. The pump usually doesn't come on - just comes on maybe 10% of the time. When the pump does come on, it only pressurizes to 20 psi.
I put battery voltage directly to fuel pump, and let it run for 15 seconds. PSI never got above 20.
I put in new fuel pump relay and connector. Did not make a difference.

I replaced the fuel pump, in tank filter and in line filter maybe 5 years ago. Drove the car very few miles since then.

It looks like I'm going to check out the pump and filter. But why would the pump not energize with key on?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Update...but still need help.
I fixed a loose connector at fuel pump relay. Pump comes on now for 2 seconds with KOEO like it's supposed to.
But...
Using this troubleshooting chart: http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Fu...mDiagnosis.pdf
I'm finding the following.

A) When I apply battery voltage to pump, the pump runs but I only get 40psi and after turning pump off the pressure falls fast to 20psi.

B) Pinching the fuel return line, then pump on, I still only get 40psi and then pressure falls fast after pump off. (troubleshooting chart says pressure is supposed to be 60psi)

C) Turning pump on, getting 40psi, pump off and pinching feed line...the pressure still falls rapidly (troubleshooting chart says pressure should not bleed off with feed line pinched)

So the troubleshooting Chart says,
For (A) above, check fuel filter.
For (B) above, check pump and filter
For (C) above, check for leaking fuel injector.

Here the problem..the pump and filter have less than 3000 miles on them. I just installed the injectors and pressure regulator. Also, because A, B and C are all occurring at the same time, I kind of contradicts the troubleshooting chart in that the pump, filter and injectors are faulty at the same time?

Is there one problem that would cause all these problems?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm about to take the fuel pump/sending unit out to check it. Any other ideas?