Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   tranny filter swap... (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/tranny-filter-swap-7930/)

cwb 10-17-2007 11:20 AM

tranny filter swap...

How's the vette filter swap for the auto tranny? Straight pan drop and swap, or is there a ton of stuff to move?

I just did the Jimmy yesterday, and put in a quart of slick 50 gel for trannys. I can't even tell it's shiftin, except for the tach. The gel will probably dilute tho'. I'm gonna' also pour in a tub of it in the vette tranny...

Anybody wanna' see pics on this?

rshiver 10-17-2007 11:41 AM

RE: tranny filter swap...

Filter change ain't that bad, a little messy though. Just don't remove all the bolts at one time, remove them all except one on each corner. loosen the ones on the corners enough to crack the seal on the gasket. Have a pan under it to catch the fluid. When the fluid stops running out, removethe bolts on two corners while holding the pan, cause you'll still have a pan full of fluid. Ease one side down while catching the fluid in the catch pan. When you get most of the fluid out, remove the pan. The filter itself is easy to replace.

Thats the easiest way I know of to do it, unless you know someone with an oil sump pump that willsuck the oil out through the dipstick tube, like they use on inboard motors on boats.

yes, pictures, we like pictures. ;)

cwb 10-17-2007 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: rshiver

yes, pictures, we like pictures. ;)
Yeah - I bet y'all do... The water's heatin' up now - takes about :45 minutes. (I spray underneath with hot water to knock off road jam before turnin' bolts)

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/6AD1483F35B7497FA0DB19EE17B06A23.jpg[/IMG]

cwb 10-17-2007 04:47 PM

Well, it never fails[:@]. There's always ONE bolt[:@]. Always[:@][:@][:@].

I got the pan seal broken, and a drip drain. Just like the Jimmy, there's 2 pan bolts on the drivers side holdin' the tranny linkage. I left one bolt in there, cause I can't see if anything will spring loose.

That's the easy one. On the passenger side, there's one bolt, which is NOT used for an exhaust hanger, but the exhaust pipe clamp is PERFECTLY in line with that bolt. PERFECTLY!!!![:@][:@][:@]see pic 40(?) edit: 3rd pic

It's gonna' take a box or an open end, one half of one sixth turn (one twelfth, I guess[&:][sm=grin.gif][sm=smiley29.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=smiley26.gif][sm=smiley11.gif][sm=outcold.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=headbang.gif]) at a time, to get it out.

The pics are the best I could get for breakdown............. If you're not happy later, I'll quadriple - that's 3x4 -your $$$ back.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/BC949B0319154EE98FFC61288B6C7A18.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/61F967D58B9F473DB251ABE8BB34409A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/EDA27AD319264613B34924BE14AF966B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/8DE4D6DAB4A2485C98E07670FE9EB0E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/0AA1170B1EB0426697D775769050340A.jpg[/IMG]

cwb 10-17-2007 09:22 PM

Well, it's dark out (I'm a weatherman - that's how come I know that), so I'm readin' the worthless Hayne's Corvette repair manual (they should change the name from Hayne's to Charmin, except it won't fit on the toilet paper roller).

The procedure doesn't mention the linkage for the shifter, or anything special. It's generic. An advanced primate (NO OFFENSE CURIOUS GEORGE)wouldn't need these instructions. But just out of curiousity, I looked at Hayne's for my CJ-7 copyright 1986. The procedure is almost verbatim the same. The first couple of stepsARE verbatim the same.

blueshark 10-17-2007 10:57 PM

Advanced Primate?....I'll bring Coty over in the morning. got any chicken McNuggets?....that's his favorite.

cwb 10-17-2007 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Advanced Primate?....I'll bring Coty over in the morning. got any chicken McNuggets?....that's his favorite.
Sounds great. I should be outta' the rack around the crack o' noon.

blueshark 10-17-2007 11:15 PM

Who's Noon? The Asian maid?...You little devil you....[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

cwb 10-17-2007 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bluesharkYou little devil you....[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Who Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee???
https://www.corvetteforums.com/upfil...x911374772.gif

cwb 10-18-2007 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL:

You little devil you....[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
I feel ... 'offended'.

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=violin.gif]

blueshark 10-18-2007 12:32 AM

No offenseintended there my friend. Just playin' around. I appologize. [sm=hiya.gif]

cwb 10-18-2007 09:14 AM

No offenseintended there my friend. Just playin' around. I appologize. [sm=hiya.gif]
It was a joke George. I was mimicin' someone else whosaid hefelt 'offended'.

Didn't bother me in the least.

mutterin':" I'll fix that bluefish character"[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

cwb 10-18-2007 11:45 AM

Here's what we're lookin' at with the passenger side pan bolt.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/821D7074601844B08553B9FED07C51A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/6DCF487DCDA64D4EB8501A8DCD5CFF9A.jpg[/IMG]

I used the closed end 13 mm. It ain't a picnic, cause of a flange on the pan, the heat shield for the exhaust, the clamp, 3 turtledoves and a partridge in a pear tree.

It slipped once[sm=yikesomg.gif]. You don't want to round off the head. And be careful with a laptop underneath the car.

Now on to the shift linkage...........

LeesVette 10-18-2007 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: cwb

It was a joke George. I was mimicin' someone else whosaid hefelt 'offended'.
Your really not that funny.

cwb 10-18-2007 12:02 PM

The shift linkage/pan bolt didn't pull any punches.

The last 2 bolts are loose - one in the middle of the pan front, one in the middle of the pan rear. I put one paw up to the middle of the pan and pushed upward to the case, and held it tightly, so when I undid the last 2 bolts with my 5 thumbs on the other paw, the pan wouldn't surprise me with any tranny juice.

Notice that clamp on the right of the frame.

Nice placement, Bowling Green. Did you use a laser-guided smart clamp for that?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/298BB647CC2F478F8B22BB234B07440F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/0DFB1117A1374104BE560D04A4D3C813.jpg[/IMG]

cwb 10-18-2007 12:09 PM

edited...

LeesVette 10-18-2007 12:18 PM

Oops! dup pics. Sorry again there lees

I just can't get it right, huh?
You know, you had a good, informative thread going here. I never "hacked" on you about any keyboarding or technical mistakes you made concerning your posting abilities. That being said, your starting to look like an ass.

cwb 10-18-2007 12:25 PM

Niiiiiiiiice!

Nice straight drop. Just a little tilt, no torrents, easy does it... little tip, little more, llllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttt ttttle bit mooooooooooooooooore. Okay, little pour. Little more tip, .........

[:@]C'mon down....... little more tip, little more flow...........

OK, turn the pan upside down, pour out the tranny fluid - there we go:D

Nice placement, Bowling Green. Did you use a laser-guided smart clamp for that? (Or did I ask that already?:eek:)

cwb 10-18-2007 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

your starting to look like an ass.
AHA! Did you figure that out all by yer self? You had help, didn'tcha'?

Just kiddin':D:D:D

cwb 10-18-2007 12:31 PM

Tell ya' what - ATF in yer coffee ain't bad. Makes ya' fast. In more ways than one:DAnd the grit makes for good tartar control:D:D

EDIT: Yup, not bad at all. Where's the rest of that stuff...? Ah - there's the pan...

Dang. Drat. All gone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/CF3241D34E8D47AD8C693178075290AB.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmm. Wonder where it went?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/1B672A764B23439099404BA85345F614.jpg[/IMG]

cwb 10-18-2007 12:50 PM

Yeah -- whatever you say boss. But you can call me Chuck.

LeesVette 10-18-2007 01:13 PM

really I'm UpChuck
Your right.

cwb 10-18-2007 01:13 PM

This part was easy...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/F4C26B721BAD4685952B7CE4E4FFE43A.jpg[/IMG]

Didn't take long either, aftrer chewin' some of that ATF coffee:D. Except for the trips to the john[sm=burnout.gif]

Tell ya' what else can go is these mosquitos serenadin' me in my ear.
Lesson 1: Don't swat 'em with ATF on yer hand.
Lesson b: Don't pick yer nose either[:'(].

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/1F268987FA2D4D0199A4B5EB8AD1F781.jpg[/IMG]

If yer lookin' for the trophy, it fell off.

cwb 10-18-2007 02:00 PM

This magnet was pretty scary. Filmy, so fine, it didn't even feel gritty. Supposedly, they use lead at assembly. I'm guessin' that's what we got here...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/279EC77D9BE0426B9B2430CF384BD160.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/C3F0EDD9B8404EA8A7354ADA53A492AA.jpg[/IMG]

cwb 10-18-2007 02:13 PM

Even if your exhaust clamp does NOT block access to any pan bolts, yer gonna' have to loosen the clamp, and roll it around to the side away from the pan, or at least on the bottom side of the pipe. Loosenin' exhaust clamps ain't a picnic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/53F5E1DD5569400290D0DAA046D96257.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/230420E7C06044A883BCA6E03202C74C.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think you'll be able to get the pan back up without the clean gasket hittin' somethin', and gettin' knocked away from the flange. It's alreaady tough enough gettin' the pan holes, the gasket holes, and the case holes lined up, on a straight lift................

goat roper 10-18-2007 06:07 PM

Oo! Oo! I know the answer to this one. The cork gasket that I used when I did mine, had slightly undersized holes that held the bolts. Iput all the bolts through the pan into the gasket, before I put it up in place. The bolts kept the gasket from moving around.Still didn't keep me from smacking it against something dirty on the way up though, so it took a couple of trys to get it up there clean. Just had to remove and replace a couple of bolts after it was up there for that shifter bracket.

cwb 10-18-2007 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: goat roper

Oo! Oo! I know the answer to this one. The cork gasket that I used when I did mine, had slightly undersized holes that held the bolts. Iput all the bolts through the pan into the gasket, before I put it up in place. The bolts kept the gasket from moving around.Still didn't keep me from smacking it against something dirty on the way up though, so it took a couple of trys to get it up there clean. Just had to remove and replace a couple of bolts after it was up there for that shifter bracket.
Yeah - thanks there goat! I haven't got there yet - I ain't goin' anywhere till I roll that clamp around... Did you have to tie the shifter bracket out of the way? Did your exhaust pipe have a clamp at the passenger side? Did your magnet have all that jam on it? Do you have a tranny fluid cooler? Did you pull the juice out of the lines up front?Where do you disconnect?

The cork thingy is a good idea there. But alas, I got neoprene. Too loose to take a chance on the cleaned greasedbolts fallin' back. My problem is gonna' be that clamp. It has to get rolled around. The exhaust joint is welded, and I don't want to break the weld..........

If ya' remember any of this stuff, thanks!

goat roper 10-18-2007 11:54 PM

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't think I had a clamp in the way. The only thing was that linkage. I've got an '87 convert. No trans cooler - just the one in the radiator. Didn't clean out the lines. You areleaving plenty of old fluid in there anyway in the torque converter. Ya, real fine stuff on the magnet, guess that's what it's there for. I really only know enough about mechanicin' to be dangerous.

rshiver 10-19-2007 07:50 AM

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't think I had a clamp in the way. The only thing was that linkage. I've got an '87 convert. No trans cooler - just the one in the radiator. Didn't clean out the lines. You areleaving plenty of old fluid in there anyway in the torque converter. Ya, real fine stuff on the magnet, guess that's what it's there for. I really only know enough about mechanicin' to be dangerous.
That reminded me of something, goat roper. Some torque converters have a small drain plug you can remove to drain the oil from the converter.

Chuck, that "filmy" stuff on the magnet is fine metal particles from normal wear.

cwb 10-19-2007 09:21 AM

That reminded me of something, goat roper. Some torque converters have a small drain plug you can remove to drain the oil from the converter.

Chuck, that "filmy" stuff on the magnet is fine metal particles from normal wear.

Yup - Ford[:'(]has a plug on the torque convertor.......

rshiver 10-19-2007 09:31 AM

Yup - Ford[:'(]has a plug on the torque convertor.......
You gotta admit though, having a drain plug on the converter is a pretty good feature. ;)

cwb 10-19-2007 03:41 PM

Thanks again there goat!

If there's only the linkage bracket, OR the exhaust clamp, you could give the pan a LITTLE tip to one side, as you go back up. If you're blocked from both sides, you ain't goin' anywhere.

I got the nut off the exhaust clamp screw, after lettin' it soak with penetratin' lube. The clamp was spot welded on the back side, away from the pan, and it had to be bent below and above to make a straight shot to the pan. If the clamp gets too much of a distortion, I'll be able without a problem to put back on a U-clamp. The weld joint didn't break, so we should be okay. Make absolutely certain, anytime you have a high stress bolt, that you use aclosed wrench, if possible. Roundin' off a bolt is a killer ...

Notice closely in the second and third pics, the pan bolt hole, that's blocked by the clamp. THEN, picture the pan blockin the wrench from the OTHER side. Good job there, Bowling Green.:eek:

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/0A3DD2838D9B440A80CB5BFDFAC299EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/3D3F1ADF112146019D83ED1A6EFE9B5E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/76F9C64B43AF444799A496BD00EC4032.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty good pics too there, huh??? Feel free to wing some $$$ my way;).Just kiddin'. Justdon't send me a bill for the bad advice:D

Now I know why those guys in Hollyweird take so much from ya' at the flicks

cwb 10-19-2007 04:37 PM

Has anybody ever disconnected the line that comes into the radiator - looks like a tranny fluid line - it comes in to the radiator just below the bottom radiator hose, passenger side, bottom, backside of radiator?????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Is it a special fittin'? I see no other way to get extra fluid out of the system...

EDIT: Looks like the second tranny fluid line comes into the radiator housing up top, near the radiator cap. Has any one ever disconnected this line?

cwb 10-19-2007 04:55 PM

Replace? Re-install?

That's a pretty heavy-duty clamp. Looks like a grade 5 or 8 bolt too - I can't tell by the markin's. Probably $30 at Chevy. Looks like it will spread the load pretty good too, whereas a U-clamp could break the weld joint.

[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DE0C34818DFA4B35BD378EEA2BB9EA61.jpg[/IMG]

rshiver 10-19-2007 05:47 PM

Has anybody ever disconnected the line that comes into the radiator - looks like a tranny fluid line - it comes in to the radiator just below the bottom radiator hose, passenger side, bottom, backside of radiator?????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Is it a special fittin'? I see no other way to get extra fluid out of the system...

EDIT: Looks like the second tranny fluid line comes into the radiator housing up top, near the radiator cap. Has any one ever disconnected this line?
cwb, just a suggestion, but if you're trying to get the fluid out of the lines and radiator transmission cooler, it would probably be better to disconnect both lines from the transmission, then you can use an air gun at very low pressureto blow the fluid out of the lines and cooler.

cwb 10-19-2007 06:17 PM

cwb, just a suggestion, but if you're trying to get the fluid out of the lines and radiator transmission cooler, it would probably be better to disconnect both lines from the transmission, then you can use an air gun at very low pressureto blow the fluid out of the lines and cooler.
Yeah, as much fluid as possible. That fluid is barely red, and no shift problems. And we don't wanna' get into this territory any time soon. And whaddya think of that clamp there?

How bout them fittin's? Anything special about em? I got a vacuum pump for fluid, that I can attach to one of the lines. You ever break that connection open??? Probably takes teflon tape or thread seal to re-connect????????? ANYBODY?????????????

Thanks.

What about lees there? I know you know some stuff - you ain't gotta' hold out there ya' know.........

cwb 10-19-2007 06:44 PM

Replace? Re-install?

That's a pretty heavy-duty clamp. Looks like a grade 5 or 8 bolt too - I can't tell by the markin's. Probably $30 at Chevy. Looks like it will spread the load pretty good too, whereas a U-clamp could break the weld joint by not spreadin' the load good.

[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DE0C34818DFA4B35BD378EEA2BB9EA61.jpg[/IMG]
The clamp wasn't spot-welded into place - looks like it was riveted into the pipe that's on the outside at the joint.

If I do re-use this guy, I'm thinkin' put some exhaust patch material inside the clamp, just to insure the clamp load gets spread good on the pipe......
[sm=feedback.gif]

rshiver 10-19-2007 06:48 PM

Yeah, as much fluid as possible. That fluid is barely red, and no shift problems. And we don't wanna' get into this territory any time soon. And whaddya think of that clamp there?

How bout them fittin's? Anything special about em? I got a vacuum pump for fluid, that I can attach to one of the lines. You ever break that connection open??? Probably takes teflon tape or thread seal to re-connect????????? ANYBODY?????????????

Thanks.

What about lees there? I know you know some stuff - you ain't gotta' hold out there ya' know.........
Is that a hanger clamp for the exhaust? it should be fine.

The lines on the transmission are more than likely flared fittings, if they are you will probably need two wrenches, one to hold the adapter fitting that's screwed into the transmission, and one to loosen the flared fitting, you don't want to twist the tubing. You won't need any Teflon tape or anything with the flared fittings, just get them good and tight when you put them back.

goat roper 10-20-2007 12:19 AM

Should use a line wrench instead of an open end for the flared fittings. I know they have another, proper, name, but that's what I know them as. It is a wrench with a six sided box endwith a slot cut out so it will slide over the line. It helps to keep from crushing or rounding off the aluminum nut on the fitting. Thought I would mention it just in case you or somebody elsereading this doesn't already know about this.

cwb 10-20-2007 09:28 AM

Day 4, to change the tranny fluid and filter.:eek:You can probably do it in 3 hours. This car ain't my daily rider, and I'm kinda' meticulous about screwin' stuff up:D

I got the top line disconnected, and no gusher. Not a drop. Apparently, that top line feeds directly into the pan - no hardware. I got 8 ounces of juice from it (and a mess). Lotta' resistance from it tho' with the sucker.......

now on to the lower line..............................

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/DB15BD966A214E70B32D4FEB9CF362E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/BC11C738C85F44139581454C49880844.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/19DFE081DE084AD4BD35969585C99329.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: the lower line didn't give up any goodies..........