Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Default transmission...

This is basically my THIRD TRANSMISSION I am on right now. First one burned up got the second one which came out of a astro and was rebulilt put in there. It just burned up...bout 5 months later which equates to now where I just had my original tranny rebuilt. Now Its fine but. He said that he added 3 extra clutch disck instead of hte normal 6 he gave me 9......I guess thats good....Anyway. Its like now the car doesnt want to go directly when I give it gas. Is this just my imagination.....or is something wrong or is this normal.......Help.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: transmission...

Well, you have just discovered why I don't like "slush boxes"!
I had a '70 440 6pac, 475 hp,Road Runner and went through 3 trannys in 2 years. It seems that all auto-majics slip before they go.
Is this normal?, I hope not for your sake, but I never had trouble withthe 4 speed M-22 stick in my '70 Chevelle, SS-454, 525 hp!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:19 PM

I WANTED A MANUAL!!!!Daddy said no....I dont think I have ever heard of a manual just takinga **** for NO APPARENT REASON!!! Theres not much to it like the auto with teh computer controlled stuff.....Oh well...sux for me huh.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

You might look into a 350 or 400 slush box. They can be built up with kits from B&M, hence the B&M Hydro. You might be saved yet!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 PM

I need help. We are trying to put a 85 corvette engine in our truck we are fixing up but the transmission holes dont line up with the new transmission crossmember. What do i need to do?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Blazing Z06

I need help. We are trying to put a 85 corvette engine in our truck we are fixing up but the transmission holes dont line up with the new transmission crossmember. What do i need to do?
Ya know, you can bolt that Vette engine right to the tranny that's in your truck!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 AM

There is a problem with that. See we have a 1964 pickup and we gave away the engine and transmission. Before that we bought the 85 engine and transmission and then gave away the other engine. But now we noticed that the holes to bolt in the tranny to the crossmember are completely different. Is there anything that you can buy to put on the transmission to make it fit?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Blaze,
Ahhh,...I see.
How much of a dif is there in the bolt holes?, I fabricated a plate to accommodate the dif. I installed the plate between the rubber mount and the tranny. I used 1/4" plate steel. As I remember I only had a few inchs (2 or 3)dif. I had a '62 and a '64 Chevy and GMC 1/2 tons. You might try a 4x4 truck shop/store and check for an aftermarket cross member. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that weren't available when I had the prob. That was back in the early '80's.

Another solution I can think of, is to change the tranny output shaft and housing to the length you need, thereby being able to align the bolt holes.

A good fab shop, or a good weldercan make you a crossmember out of tubing and flat stock.

I would not recommend drilling the frame though. Cracks can developearound the holes thatare drilled. You would need to have them punched out. Yes, drilled holes, in a frame,will crack! Been there, screw that! [:'(]
I hope I helped!
Let us know what solution you come up with.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Our crossmember looks like this just with no place for the exhaust. But our transmission has the bolts on the side of it not under it. The transmission tail housing looks like this.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:27 PM

I heard somewhere that a corvette transmission will only fit a corvette. Is this your original transmission? If so, and it was psoted, I missed it sorry. I live right by the transmission shop. Any quiestions that are edging you, I will try my best to find out and give the answers back to you. Goodluck![&:]

Quick Reply: transmission...