Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Vette Died....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 AM
Default Vette Died....

well my fun came to a end today. the vette quit runing..just stalled out on me ..was hesitating real bad and got worse and worse, till it died and now it wont crank back. i checked fuel pressure, (holding 41lbs), getting fire to the spark plugs...spark is blue and strong. i did a diagnostic test on it and it returned a code 15, coolant temp. sensor and a code 13 oxgen sensor. would a coolant temp sensor cause it not to start?

Old 04-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Vette Died....

I just replaced my coolant sensor this weekend because the connector had melted and was shot, but my car never threw a code or ran any different. But the sensor was only $13 at O'Reilly Auto parts and was made by Borg Warner if that helps.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:17 PM

what year is the vette,check your vacume line on the map sensor,.is the fuel getting to the injectors, pull a plug and check to see if it is wet, , .check the fuel pulsation damper,to check pull vacume line of off regulator and hook up a vacume pump to the regulator, pump up vacume pump ,to 15 psi should hold.pressure. if does not hold pressure regulator is no good,replace.do you have a scanner tool. i would test the sencers you are getting codes on first. then go from there.and check the fuses for the ecm,when you take out the 02 sencer just try to start the car and see if it starts, one of your cats could be pluged up.when you take out the 02 sencer it will realese the back pressure and should start.it could be any one of these things,im just giving you some things to check out.dont use ant test lights to check for power you will blow out the solid state resisters[ the computer]use a digital volt meater.good luck

Old 04-18-2006, 06:25 PM

well the car started this morning. weird.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 PM

greatif it starts acting up again check those things i said to check.could still be your cats.if they are broken inside peices of the cone block the exhaust passage and will make the car rung rough and stall then from sitting or if you move the car the piece will fall thus letting the exhaust out.just something to think about.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 PM

dang..hit the wrong buttons...lol

anyway..i had it towed to the dealership this morning and they just called. it was the coolant temp sensor. it was broken. they replaced it and it ran fine. when it started this morning there was a awful plume of black smoke and it was running like it was loading up real bad. after it ran for a minute, it cleared up, but there was still black smoke when i revved.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM

WOW! I DID NOT THINK IT WAS THE COOLANT SENSOR, I CHECKED THE MANUAL AND DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SENSOR MAKING THE CAR NOT START,WELL THATS GOOD WAS MINOR PROBLEM.THE LOADING UP IM NOT SHURE BUT WHEN MECH259 GETS ON HE WILL ANSWER THAT ONE.I HAVE A IDEAR WHAT IT COULD BE BUT I WANT TO SEE WHAT MECH SAYS.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM

WHO DID THE WORK. WHAT YEAR IS THE VETTE HOW MANY MILES ON IT.DID THEY CHECK THE 02 SENSOR?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Coolant sensor will make your car run very rich and it might have gas fouled your spark plugs. That is probably why it wouldn't start. Might need to change them. An open circuit to the coolant sensor and the ECM sees a -45 degrees, so it pours the fuel to it. [8D]

Old 04-18-2006, 09:30 PM

mech, you are 100%. the car was so full of fuel it wouldnt crank. after it set the gas drained off..(eww), and it fired. but the guy at the dealership said the plugs should be fine just listen for idle misses. so far i cant tell any bad idle. he did check the O2 sensors and they checked out once the rich mixture left it . cleared the codes and nothing came back.. they are thorough. only costed me 128. (22 for the coolant sensor). plus the dang tow bill..lol.

CK, the car has 74,000 miles and its a '94 model convertible.

Quick Reply: Vette Died....